Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Mini

NewbieNewbie Posts: 33
edited 5:45PM in EggHead Forum
I have a mini about 4 months now. When I purchased it I anticipated high temps of around 1000 to 1200 degrees but it only goes as high as 700 and no more. All openings are clear. I do notice smoke coming from the bottom but upon inspection see no cracks. I'm wondering is it defective? Should I contact BGE? All comments welcomed. Thanks.
·

Comments

• Celtic WolfCeltic Wolf Posts: 9,768
    newbie ,[p] What you plan on cremating? (besides the gasket) I honestly don't beleive you can get enough lump in the mini to get to 1000 or more
    ·
  • Celtic Wolf,[p]I'm with ya Wolf, a steak on the mini at 700 is PERFECT! I'm not sure why you would want to go higher? I did some "bone-in" Allen Brothers beef fillet tenderloins a while back, and they were fantastic! Good luck![p]Keep smokin, Dana

·
  • SmokeySmokey Posts: 2,468
    newbie,[p]I'd say I'm with the others. [p]I love my mini for steaks, burgers, dogs, checken, etc, but I don't even have a thermometer on it. It get plenty hot to stear steaks! The heck with 1000 degrees![p]Keep Cooking!
    Smokey

·
  • Steve-OSteve-O Posts: 302
    newbie ,
    Dana is right - 700° is plenty for great steaks on the mini. I like to get my large a little hotter if I'm doing steaks on it, but no need on the mini 'cause the meat is so close to the fire.

·
  • RumrunnerRumrunner Posts: 563
    ratfilets.jpg
    <p />newbie , cooked these two filets the other day 500° w/no problem.

·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    newbie ,
    700 is air temp, not the lump. lump burning in a 250 degree fire is at 1000-1200 or so, there's just not much of it to keep the environment above 250.[p]your mini is raging at 700, and the lump, within inches of the steak, is at 1200 or so.[p]the thermometer on a nuke-sear is only a rough indicator of how hot the fire is going.[p][p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
  • Car Wash MikeCar Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    bprawns.jpg
    <p />newbie ,
    Bacon wrapped prawns tonight w/ salad. Precooked the bacon in microwave before wrapping. Wanted to make sure it was nice and crispy when I pulled off.
    500 is really all I need the mini to get up to. The meat is so close to the fire. Good for steaks, chops, seafood. IMHO.[p]Mike

·
  • Sorry to bring up this old thread but I am wondering the maximum dome temperature people have achieved with the Mini so far.  I read 700 to 750 F is possible.  What about 800 F?
    ·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,280
    Grill_Nut said:
    Sorry to bring up this old thread but I am wondering the maximum dome temperature people have achieved with the Mini so far.  I read 700 to 750 F is possible.  What about 800 F?
    yes this is old run and hide!!!!image

anyways I only run my mini at 400-500 to cook chicken breasts chops @ the dome.  it is hard to measure an @ the coals temp, but i know they can g nuclear just like all other eggs.
    ·
  • LitLit Posts: 3,826

You can bury the needle in the mini. I have gotten the IR thermo to read almost 600 on the outside of the mini dome before.

·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,223

I have gotten my mini well over 700 a few times on accident when i first got it. Lit it and ran inside for a few minutes. Came back out to a hot egg. Good thing with the mini is it cools down was quicker IMO.

By the way, this thread is old as @Mickey

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·