Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs and Chicken for 50

A colleague and I are planning to do a BBQ for about 50 of our co-workers.  We know that we'll be doing 20 racks of ribs.  The equipment we have:

1.  LBGE with AR and AR Extender (3 total racks)

2.  Primo

3.  Weber Bullet

4.  Weber 3-burner gasser

We know that we can get the ribs done by lunch if we start early in the morning.  Our question is related to chicken.  We want to do some chicken (not whole birds and not just breasts).  Does anyone have any suggestions for doing some good smoked chicken in advance (night before) that will keep well until lunch the following day?  Any other suggestions are also welcome!

Thanks in advance!

Kruegs

XL BGE; CyberQ Wifi; Adjustable Rig, Woo2 Green Bay, Wisconsin

Comments

• In my experience, reheated chicken is tough to pull off.

You might consider smoking the chicken and then making chicken salad.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I want to work where you work!

I'd recommend indirect at 375, pull at 165 IT for white meat.  Since you are cooking night before, you can pull a little earlier and re-heat in microwave a couple minutes first, then heat and crisp the skin on the gasser. (gasp.. I just said that)

I don't like smoking a chicken low and slow -too much chance of getting mushy meat.  If you put some wood chunks on, you can get flavor into chicken quickly, and cook at 375.  

You could also put some sausages on, easy way to get good food done, they fit between the ribs near the end :)

Best of luck!  Sounds like a great place to work.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    If the schedule allows, I would do the ribs the day before, wrap in foil with some sauce overnight.  Cook the birds1/2 spatchcocked and then toss the ribs and foil on 30-45 minutes before the meal.
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Do all the ribs the day before 3-2 then do the 1 the day of your gathering (they are always better the next day, well that what my wife say's) then build enough chicken bombs the night before and finish them the day of, heck if your bored buy 50 peaches pitt them and drizzle them in honey and drop it like its hot...  
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    If the schedule allows, I would do the ribs the day before, wrap in foil with some sauce overnight.  Cook the birds1/2 spatchcocked and then toss the ribs and foil on 30-45 minutes before the meal.
    Good idea..
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    20 racks of ribs on a LGBE?  Sweet lordy man, I would have gone with pulled pork.  Ain't no way no how you can do 20 racks in the course of a morning on an LG or even on an XL.  The most I've ever done is 8 racks at once.

I'd make it all the day before and then reheat.
  • Kruegs
    Kruegs Posts: 128
    Mud Pig said:
    20 racks of ribs on a LGBE?  Sweet lordy man, I would have gone with pulled pork.  Ain't no way no how you can do 20 racks in the course of a morning on an LG or even on an XL.  The most I've ever done is 8 racks at once.

I'd make it all the day before and then reheat
    As you'll note from my original post, we're also using  Primo and a Weber bullet...only 8-9 on the egg.
    XL BGE; CyberQ Wifi; Adjustable Rig, Woo2 Green Bay, Wisconsin
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Just my 02.... Pulled pork might be easier. I'm my experience more gets eaten than ribs. Just a thought.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    I would agree on the pulled pork. Ive never had complaints on my ribs (other than my own complaining )but  The one thing over and over people ask me to cook is pulled pork.

Do a bunch of butts , Make a mountain of coleslaw some good small slider buns and it will all disappear

for that many people i think it would be the way to go unless the time factor of making butts interferes

2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM