Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

L or XL BGE????

I am going to purchase my 1st BGE. I have a dilemma. Do I purchase the L or XL BGE??
I am looking for something to cook for a family of 5 (3 young boys...soon to eat a ton). Also large enough to cook for some friends as well.
(I have a large trailer-mounted smoker for the times I need to do a lot of meat.). My concerns are that the L may not be big enough OR that I could possibly sacrifice some efficiency if I went to the XL.

How many people with a large wish they chose the XL or visa-versa??

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    If money isn't an issue, get the XL.  I have a large but sometimes wish it had more cooking space....having said that I often wish I had a smaller one.  From reading the forum, the XL does not seem to burn much more lump than a large. 
  • RickyBobby
    RickyBobby Posts: 744
    I recently had problems making the same decision. Ended up getting the XL and am happy with my decision.
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • I have an XL. I sold my large that I bought off CL less than a year before to get the XL. I love the extra real estate! I think you'll find many more large owners who wish they got the XL than XL owners who wish they bought a large.
    Flint, Michigan
  • I have a large and an XL, I find I use the large more frequently, but if I were to go back to only having one Egg, it would be the XL.
    Large BGE and a couple non-greenies
    Roanoke TX
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    I got an XL - it handles my 18" paella pan. Also just acquired a "lump reducer" from the ceramic grill store for smaller cooks. I say go XL- when you really need it you will ba glad you did.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Bigger is always better... If you could, get both.  :)  When I looked for an egg, the only place I could find only had an XL.  I bought it and am very happy with it.   I cook everything from a couple of burgers - or even just one steak on it.  I have burned 8+ bags in the last 3 months. In fact I smoked roast beef and turkey breast sliced for sandwiches just last night... YYYUUUUUMMM!!!!!
  • RickyBobby
    RickyBobby Posts: 744
    Cookinbob said:
    Also just acquired a "lump reducer" from the ceramic grill store for smaller cooks.

How do you like the Lump reducer? Does it serve it's purpose for your smaller cooks? Been looking at them.
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • Mkline
    Mkline Posts: 180
    Regardless of which one you get at some point in the future you will purchase a second egg like most people for different uses/style of cooks. So with knowing that, get the Xl. You will never then say I wish I had that extra room for this cook and once you are more experienced you can decide what your next one will be. I have an Xl and two minis, started with the Xl and got the minis recently and never have said what if.
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    I have a large and an XL, I find I use the large more frequently, but if I were to go back to only having one Egg, it would be the XL.

+1

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• I have a lg and am very satisfied with my purchase. Sometimes I cook up to three Boston Butts, sometimes I just cook one chicken. My thoughts were if you weren't going to have a lot of people over just family, I don't have to heat the EX for just right for me, wife and my two boys (big eaters) always have room with my swing great to add more goods to the Lg......

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    edited August 2013
    I have a large with the ar from ceramic grill store and I have yet to yearn for more cooking space. I cook on it for my family of four as well as twenty plus people for cookouts
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I started with a large and within a year added a second one followed by a small and a mini about a year after that.  For a family of five I certainly can't make an argument against an XL.  I do however enjoy the versatility that you have with multiple eggs for side dishes etc, and find that for just my wife and I at home the larges have become the "smokers and bakers". 

With your size of family at home I think the XL would be a great choice for a first and then save your pennies for a large as your second (which you will be thinking of the minute your first one hits your deck or patio).  There are lots of options to weigh, but it is also nice being able to share eggcessories between two cookers of the same size.

If I had it to do over again I would probably get an XL as my first and chase it with a large, small and mini.  Fact is, I probably will end up owning an XL some day as I am leaning closer to giving competition bbq a shot and an XL can cook a lot of ribs laying flat with the AR.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794

OK.  I'm going to say it.  I have an XL.  I really like it.  However, if I had a large I would be fine.  The reason I say that is that I have 4 other grills and when I cook a big meal I enjoy cooking on multiple grills.

With that being said, I certainly have no regrets about getting the XL.  It allows me to cook 72 chicken wings on one level.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Like you, I have a family of five and three boys, two of which are already at the eating a ton stage.  I find the large more than adequate and have cooked for not only my family, but large groups of friends and extended family on occasion too.  Having the two-tier swing rack helps.  That said however, if money had been no object, I would have gone with the XL no question.  I was able to get a much better deal on a large comparatively speaking than the XL.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I have an XL and a MED. I had a LG that I bought for $425 with ps, nest and warranty. I have cooked on several LG's. 

The XL is called the "no regrets model" for a reason. 

I feel the XL and MED combo is perfect. I suggest buying a new XL and then keeping your eye on Craigslist for a used MED or SM.

That being said, the LG should be more than adequate for most situations. 

Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • HeathBar
    HeathBar Posts: 21
    Never a regret with the XL. 
    XL BGE 
  • DubbsBBQ
    DubbsBBQ Posts: 23
    I have a L and XL....use the L much more than the XL. Love the XL for when company is over but use the L almost exclusively for everyday family cooks...also family of 5( two boys, one girl). If I only was only buying one...I would go with the large. They are plenty of accessories that you can buy to max out the space. The big Mama is a lot to fire up just for a beer can chicken, some ABT's or wings.
    XL, LG, mini (soon)
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    I have the XL and I love it. I've never wished I had bought any other size instead. Bought mine at an Eggfest and couldn't be happier with the entire experience. ONE of very few purchases I've ever made with narey a moment of buyer's remorse.

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • I can cook as much on my large with the adjustable rig as I can on my XL with one grid... So I wouldn't shy away from the large, however if given the choice then go XL.
    2 Large Eggs and no chickens. How's that work? :)
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    RickyBobby said:
    Cookinbob said:
    Also just acquired a "lump reducer" from the ceramic grill store for smaller cooks.

How do you like the Lump reducer? Does it serve it's purpose for your smaller cooks? Been looking at them.
    The lump reducer just arrived today, so I have not used it yet.  Will post something when I do.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I bought my first XL in March of 2012 and my second XL 3 months later.  Usually cook for two but cook every night so it is great being able to do a low and slow and dinner at the same time.  I'm in a time crunch - need to light the grill, prepare the food, cook, eat, and clean up every night and I needed to do all of that in 2 hours or less.  Having the second XL makes that doable.  No regrets.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    I have a large and it provides plenty of cooking space for 5 people. You wouldn't have guessed it from reading this thread but it is the most popular size egg. I think there is a reason for that - you get more for your money and average guy doesn't really need the extra real estate.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • I struggled with the same question when I decided to but a BGE. I settled on the large and have never felt that I needed more room. Now it's just my wife and I, with the occasional cook for large family gatherings. I do plan on buying either a small or a mini in the near future, not for more space but for more options, baking, sides etc. for a family of five, a large should be sufficient, especially with the options from CGS. But, an XL may be what's best for you. Just my two cents....
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • avibug
    avibug Posts: 172
    I went through the same issue when I bought my first egg a few months ago.  Went with the XL over the large and I'm very happy with it.  Also have a family of 5 with 3 young kids.  The XL is fine when cooking for just our family, and great when we have guests.  Highly recommend.  
    double Posts: 1,214
    Happy with my XL family of 4. My second will be a small so I can take it with me on my travels.
    Lynnwood WA
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    XL with a family of four. Glad I went big. Spatchcocking a 15 lb turkey Sunday.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    Go with the XL, it scaleable and can just as easily cook for 2 as it can for 20 people.  
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited August 2013
    I have a large and a Ceramic Grill Works two-tier swing rack and love it. I have added a small to travel with and have both of them going for big cooks. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK.