Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Carolina EggFest Baked Apples

MountainGrillerMountainGriller Posts: 300
edited 2:28PM in EggHead Forum
I enjoyed the Baked Apples cooked at the Carolina Eggfest last weekend - So I tried to create the recipe tonight.
After climbing 1740 feet in 5.5 miles at Beech Mountain, NC this morning on my mountain bike, I thought we would enjoy a treat tonight.
Cooked at 400 degrees indirect on the LBGE in a Dutch Oven for an hour - WOW, yum yum what a treat it was.
Many thanks to the cook who provided the wonderful Baked Apples a the eggfest in Winston-Salem, NC last weekend.

DSC_2746.jpg
·

Comments

• Looks great! Congrats on your climb. I bet it was beautiful up there.
    ·
  • Thanks, yes it was a beautiful day.
    ·
  • mr toadmr toad Posts: 666
    Miss Alyce's Baked Apples

cooked at 2004/5/6/7/8/9 eggtoberfest

1 can 6lb. 8oz. White House Sliced Apples
    1 stick real butter
    2 tbs ground cinnamon
    2 tbs whole cloves
    1 tbs nutmeg
    2 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
    3/4 cups raisins - dark
    3/4 cups raisins - golden
    2 cups Ocean Spray - Craisins - cranberries
    2 cups walnuts or pecans
    1/2 cup dark rum or apple brandy

mr toad

cook/smoke in a 7qt. dutch oven - 1 and 1/2 hours - add nuts during last 15 minutes of the cook - and rum, light, and serve

Cooking Tips - - variations: pecans instead of walnuts or both - add other fruit, pears or cherries for example - chardonnay or apple brandy instead of rum - chopped ginger is a nice addition - dark (grade b) maple syrup instead of the brown sugar - all is according to taste
    In dog Beers - I have had only one !
    ·
  • SmokyArkieSmokyArkie Posts: 65
    I know what I will be cooking this weekend. Thanks for the recipe.
    ·
  • Mr Toad,
    Oh man, what a treat - Thank you - this recipe is a keeper.
    Tom
    ·
  • ChargerGuyChargerGuy Posts: 357
    Man o man I wish I wasn't the only one in the family that likes baked apples!!! I would me making these this weekend!
    ·
  • Big George's BBQBig George's BBQ Posts: 1,152
    YUM
    ·
  • Yes they were
    ·
  • @MountainGriller is the photo above of the apples the same as the recipe from @mr toad? This looks fantastic and I am wanting to make an apple dish in the dutch oven.  Thanks! 
    Large, Medium, and Mini BGE, a few accessories, 2 kids, 1 dog, and original wife.  Lover of winter and powdery snow. 
    ·
  • vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,091
    Yes it is the same recipe...Alyce's baked apples are awesome...
    ·
  • Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,581
    @mountaingriller

Where was the Carolina Eggfest? I didn't hear about it. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·