Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - I need a blender

Options
robnybbq
robnybbq Posts: 1,911
I am not buying a Vitamix or anything ridiculously expensive.  Anyone got a decent cheap blender (under $100) that they can recommend?  Our old one is on its last leg and it will NOT make it through Saturdays party.

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    My old kitchenaid was pretty strong and I believe it was $99
  • CeeGeeW
    CeeGeeW Posts: 113
    Options
    I really like my Ninja QB1004 Master Prep Pro Food & Drink Mixer.  It's $60 with Amazon.
    Los Angeles, CA
  • robnybbq
    Options
    CeeGeeW said:
    I really like my Ninja QB1004 Master Prep Pro Food & Drink Mixer.  It's $60 with Amazon.
    We are looking at this.  Does it "Blend" well? Ice crush for frozen cocktails?  Milkshakes?

Garnerville, NY
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    a recent thread about the ninja...

me? i haven't used a blender in 40 years. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• CeeGeeW
    CeeGeeW Posts: 113
    Options
    robnybbq said:
    CeeGeeW said:
    We are looking at this.  Does it "Blend" well? Ice crush for frozen cocktails?  Milkshakes?
    It does!!  Unlike a blender, it only has pulse control.  Use long pulses to blend.  Here is a recipe book to give you an idea:
    Also, take a look at the last page, it comes with a few smaller containers too which you can mix in as well.  My best advice is that those blades are REAL sharp, so be careful when washing or leaving it out of the blender.
    Los Angeles, CA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,476
    edited August 2013
    Options
    CeeGeeW said:Also, take a look at the last page, it comes with a few smaller containers too which you can mix in as well. 
    My old Oster had those, they were so convenient for dressings and marinades (even came with screw-on lids so you could toss the results in the frig).  Sadly, can't get them for my KitchenAid...

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i would give you mine but last time i used it for shedding up moss for the patio. worked pretty good
    :D i dont think ive ever bought one but seem to have them delivered, bet if your wife asked her friends there would be several to choose from, woman seem to collect them
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options

Got this Ninja for the wife for Christmas and it has been fantastic.  Very strong and comes with pitcher and single serve.  I paid around $100 for it with a 20% off coupon at BB&Beyond which are usually easy to find.  Excellent blender for the money.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=40176550

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• robnybbq
    Options
    We went on get this one - http://www.target.com/p/ninja-master-prep-black-silver/-/A-12834612#prodSlot=medium_1_6&term=ninja+blender

Ninja Master Prep.  Once big blender container and one food processing container.  Worked out great and I got a new food processor all for one. 

Used it for frozen drinks and used the processor for salsa and green lightning shrimp marinade.

Very good tool.

Garnerville, NY
  • StlScott
    StlScott Posts: 77
    Options

I'm considering a Breville Hemisphere ... it's still pricey (to me) ... but is less than half of a Vitamix and has gotten exceptionally good reviews (Cooks Illustrated rated it as one of their top finishers).  I'm trying to get my daughter to eat more fruits and veggies, and if I can "hide" some good food in a smoothie, then so be it  ;)

StlScott

• jeroldharter
    Options
    I just bought the Ninja Mega something from Amazon. Got it yesterday afternoon and made smoothies so not much real world experience. Makes my old (but still decent) Kitchen Aid blender look bad. It is no Vitamix in terms of build quality, but it is a great deal and works well. 

Mine came with the smaller mixing bowl (and a chopper insert) plus two individual size mixing vessels. I like the individual size cups. They work great for a quick smoothie. The big 72 oz pitcher is nice too. So my first impression is: quite pleased.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited August 2013
    Options
    My daughter just got one yesterday from Target. 1000 Pro. I ran just ice and worked outstanding, she ran smoothies and perfect. Last weekend I had been looking at he Vit ones at Costco and for the dif in $$$ and the way hers works it is had to see the dif of money ( never have used the Vit).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.