Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Question - Black Residue

I have one of those cheap Lodge cast iron skillets. I have only used a small amount of soap on there once when I had some burnt on crud on the bottom. Normally, I just use hot water and a sponge to clean it. But it seems like there is always black residue left behind. I'm assuming this is the preseasoning that Lodge puts on their products. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? I scrub the devil out of it with hot water and a sponge, but it seems like the black residue will never go away. TIA!

Comments

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    I still have some in spots on mine. I use CI almost every cook. I worry about the inside more. I would try getting it hot like to the point it starts to smoke and maybe use apple cinder or reg vinegar on it. Then reseason it.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    My CI is the same way.  Not sure if I'm doing something wrong either...but if I take a piece of CI from under my counter right now and rub it with a paper towel it will have black on it.  

Hopefully it is just adding extra iron to my food :P

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Ok good there are 2 of you. I'm in the same boat.
  • dpittard
    dpittard Posts: 126
    That's flavor!  My CI never sees water unless it is in the food that is cooking in the CI.  I clean with kosher salt and a paper towel.

LBGE with a massive wish list
    Athens, Ga.
  • You can put it through a cleaning cycle in your oven (if it has one) or put it in the egg and do a clean burn. It will come out like new (i.e., unseasoned). You can then season it.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    How do you clean with a paper towel without it ripping and get paper strands in the CI?
    Pentwater, MI
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Every time I use mine and have stuff cooked on it I fill with water and bring it to boil to get crud off. Then dump out wipe clean and then rub with a little canola oil (lightly) before putting up
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Chubbs said:
    Every time I use mine and have stuff cooked on it I fill with water and bring it to boil to get crud off. Then dump out wipe clean and then rub with a little canola oil (lightly) before putting up
    Like @Chubbs - One of the big reasons I keep my gasser with a side burner, just water and heat to boil, light scrape, rinse, dry with paper towel, oil and store. Same thing works for SS pans that can be almost impossible to peal the crud off of. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Chubbs said:
    +1  
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    This is from Cast Iron Jack McGrew all about Cleaning and seasoning.

The old saying that you don't want to use soap come from the times when soap way made from lye and bear grease. The lye alone would strip the seasoning. Modern detergents are about as much a wetting agent as anything an have no relationship to what people meant when they said soap a hundred years ago. Just wash it in the sink, using your regular hand dishwashing detergent and a stiff bristle brush,. dry carefully, and put a few drops of vegetable oil in it a wipe it around with a paper towel. Yes the towel will be black and that is carbon not dirt.
  • CAT Seller
    CAT Seller Posts: 208
    My CI is cleaned with kosher salt and a paper towel. Then I apply a dab of bacon grease before putting it away.
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    I've been doing a lot of research on it today and I think the black residue left after wiping the skillet with oil and a paper towel is Lodge's preseasoning. I would assume it is safe. Anyone know for sure? I am guessing the more I use it, it will eventually seal up?? I just got a CI conditioner that I'm going to try out. I just put a thin layer of it on my skillet. It is the Camp Chef brand.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I get as much off as I can with a paper towel, then put some water in the pan, place it on the stove and heat to boiling, that makes clean up a snap. Dry it and spray lightly with PAM and store it away! Been doing all my cast pots and pans that way for years!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • I manage Waffle Houses and we use CI for cheese eggs. Just wash, salt and scrub with paper towel then lightly oil.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Just rinse it some, rub with paper towel, put on burner for a minute to evaporate water then rub with thin layer of oil. The black stuff is just carbonization from cooking, and there's nothing to be concerned about. Lodges pre seasoning is pretty much just canola oil if I remember correctly from "how it's made."

If you did decide to re season, I highly recommend using the egg and doing a clean burn. I do that often when reconditioning vintage pieces since it will really smell the house up if done in the oven. It's a lot quicker than oven cleaner.
    Dunedin, FL
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    None of my cast-iron pans, griddles or Dutch ovens are Lodge, but I can get the same black stuff on it. I'm in the camp with most of the rest you. If something is really stuck on, I use boiling water. Normally I rinse the pan with hot water and then fill it with the hottest water I can get out of my Kitchen faucet and let it soak for a half hour so. Then I dry it with paper towels and spray it with some Pam for Grilling or spray with some veggie oil from my Misto mister.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    i use one of those metal sponge deals and scrub with hot water. i then dry with a paper towel, put eye on stove on low, and lightly rub with crisco. then turn it off after about 5 minutes or so. 
    is there a better way? should i use something besides crisco? what is the deal with guys using salt? never heard that/ how exactly are you using the salt and what is the benefit?
    Boom
  • I don't use salt but I assume that it acts as both and abrasive and a drying agent.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.