Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shepard's Pie...

Options
Shown here waiting to go on. It was very, very good!

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    How bout some details, Craig?
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I made two batches using left over pulled picnic in the last week.  Big hit.  Second version I put down a jalapeno and cheese tortilla as a bottom crust. 

Anyway, good stuff.  Post your pics.
    Options
    Nice cook.  I like some curry powder mixed with the potatoes.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I was just thinking of Shepard's Pie yesterday. Something I have yet to make. Would love to hear some details about yours. or yours @nolaegghead

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @craigsegg... That's like posting you spent the night with the Olsen twins and that's it... Details dude, details.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • craigsegg
    Options
    Details: Craigsegg Shepard’s Pie (recipe always a little different)…

Last night’s version: Browned hamburger in cast iron skillet. Added: fresh onions and peppers from the garden, fresh corn right from the cob, new potatoes (pre-cooked) and fresh garlic. Simmered five minutes. Removed everything from skillet and into large bowl. Added two farm fresh eggs, a little Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and other spices – mix. Placed pie shell in bottom of cast iron skillet, added mixture and topped with another pie shell.

Into BGE with plate setter at 375 for 45 minutes.

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I like 2 crusts too. I'm sure the mashed potato top folks will chime in shortly. Good work!
    Flint, Michigan
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Ok @Fred19Flintstone, if you insist... we do the mashed potato top version. But, I am open to considering this pie crust version as an alternative.

Mrs. TOTN also makes Tourtière for Christmas Eve dinner. That's made with pie crust(s).

Looks good @craigsedd.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Stupid question.. What kind if pie shells?
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options

Ok @Fred19Flintstone, if you insist... we do the mashed potato top version. But, I am open to considering this pie crust version as an alternative.

Looks good @craigsedd.
    It's not like saying chili contains beans to a Texan, is it?
    Flint, Michigan
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    @Fred19Flintstone, I had never heard of shepard's pie until I moved up here to Canada so, it doesn't really matter to me one way or the other.

Beans in chili... now that's a whole different matter!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    have never seen a shepards pie with pie crust, i like the idea, i grew up with holiday pork pies which recently realized my grandmother added beef to the pork and potatoes, never thought to add the corn, next time.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    edited August 2013
    Options
    @Fred19Flintstone, I had never heard of shepard's pie until I moved up here to Canada so, it doesn't really matter to me one way or the other.

Beans in chili... now that's a whole different matter!
    beans in a chili pie, is that ok
    :D
    beans in chili is like beef in a shephards pie, lamb goes in shepards pie, beef goes in cottage pie
    ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Griffin said:
    I was just thinking of Shepard's Pie yesterday. Something I have yet to make. Would love to hear some details about yours. or yours @nolaegghead
    I'm working in the shop, the lady-wife is working a 12 hr shift at the hospital.  I had cooked a pork picnic earlier in the week. 

I raided the vegetable bin in the fridge - added fresh corn - cut off the cobb, snap  peas (cut in thirds), onions, carrots, some other veggies...put them in my new All-clad copper wok pan, seared.  Made a sauce with home-made chicken broth, few spices, salt pepper.

Dumped 2/3 of the mix in a pyrex baking pan.  Made a trench around the outside and poured mashed potatoes (with bacon and cheese) around the outside of the mound and on top.  Baked it, then added various cheese on top. 

We killed it when she got home.  Made a second batch later in the week, but put a bottom  "curst" in - tortilla, used some alternate cheeses.  Comfort food, and a nice way to use leftovers.

I'm totally lit up right now...had a root canal on a cracked  tooth yesterday and they have me on some great drugs. ;)
    Options
    I thought in Louisiana they just pulled them and made a necklace out of it. :D
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Craig, I was too lazy to cook this noon but I've been so hungry for shepard's pie since reading this, I went to MacCool's and had one of theirs.  And since my guv'mint job has been furloughed, I had a beer with it, too!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    henapple said:
    I thought in Louisiana they just pulled them and made a necklace out of it. :D
    Usually that's what we do, but Chinese beads are so cheap....