Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I feel like a kid in a candy store!

So I got home today and waiting for me was the PartyQ controller!
I have cooked steaks, chicken, ribs, curry, chili, salmon etc, but have avoided those low slow cooks - briskets and butts.
Now I finally can dive into a new level of egging and I can barely wait for the weekend!
*does happy dance*
What first? Brisket or butt? Decisions decisions decisions...

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Butt is much easier for a first low and slow. I'd do it without the controller so I'm comfortable controlling temp, just in case in the future there are technical difficulties with the controller. But that's just me.
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Butt is more forgiving, but a good brisket sure does taste a lot better.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Tjcoley said:

Butt is much easier for a first low and slow. I'd do it without the controller so I'm comfortable controlling temp, just in case in the future there are technical difficulties with the controller. But that's just me.

I am comfortable controlling the temp, just did not want to do it for a low and slow extended.
    Thanks for the advice around the butt - will start looking for a likely candidate at the butchers :)
  • Butt is more forgiving, but a good brisket sure does taste a lot better.

Thanks Chris - leaning towards the butt :)
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Tjcoley said:
    Like Tj says - get the temp at 250ish, let her go. Do a butt during the day on the weekend. Start at 8:00AM, done by 5:00PM if you want to do the low and slow. 
    Then try it with the Q. Whatever,it will be fine. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • CAT Seller
    CAT Seller Posts: 208
    I agree with the others. Boston Butt is the way to go. It was the first meat that I mastered on the egg. Do it at 230/240 ish. My egg (each is different), takes exactly 2 hrs per pound, so plan accordingly. Add an hour or so for it to cool down enough to pull or chop, and it will melt in your mouth.
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • Thanks guys, butt it is!
    Best recipe to use? Or it does not matter?
  • CAT Seller
    This is where you will get a lot of different opinions..... I slather it in french's mustard, then sprinkle enough rub on it to cover the yellow mustard. Inject it now, if you prefer or not. Park it in the fridge overnight. Bring out the next day to come close to room temp. Stabilize egg, insert deflector, drip pan, rack, then butt. Don't touch or peak until internal temp is 190. Oh, one more thing, get bone in butt.
  • This is where you will get a lot of different opinions..... I slather it in french's mustard, then sprinkle enough rub on it to cover the yellow mustard. Inject it now, if you prefer or not. Park it in the fridge overnight. Bring out the next day to come close to room temp. Stabilize egg, insert deflector, drip pan, rack, then butt. Don't touch or peak until internal temp is 190. Oh, one more thing, get bone in butt.

Perfect, thanks CAT Seller, what type of wood do you use for smoke?
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    I like oak for butt and brisket, especially brisket. Hickory or cherry for butt is good as well.
  • CAT Seller
    I like fruit woods....for a butt, I kind of like cherry. The mustard will make a great bark full of flavor and when it is done, the bone should pull out like a knife through butter. Let it rest, then pour the juices over the pulled/chopped pork. Butt is a great cheap low and slow cook, that will feed for days, and the yield is about is about 90% of what you purchase.
  • Ok, so cherry sounds like the wood to use, thanks guys.
    Will get everything tomorrow.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    +1 on Cherry for pork
    I have to ask, what is your profile picture? My boys and I are arguing if it is a cat or a fox or a baby koala (yes, my youngest one thinks it is a koala, ((believe it or not)).
  • It is actually a picture of a baby red panda - so in my mind your youngest is closest to the right answer :)
  • It is actually a picture of a baby red panda - so in my mind your youngest is closest to the right answer :)
    In the order of animal classification, yes. The young child is most correct...
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs