Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What if we all die young? (danger of inhaling that hardwood dust)

Hey guys I had a thought the other night.  A bout 10 seconds after I had dumped lump in my BGE I looked over and saw a metalic looking dust still settling out from the pile.  I work at a large hospital and I could not help but think back to a few years while sitting on the lung transplant board at my hospital...  There was a young man who needed a transplant, never smoked a day in his life that had two "burned out lungs".  I asked the pulmonologist what happened and he said "wrong place-wrong time.. every breath you take it is possible that you could inghale something that could nest and eventually burn your lungs out".  

Anybody else ever wonder if this dust could be toxic?  Is there a Dr in the house?   

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Covered this before but always worth a re-visit. I take a breath, dump and run away. Give it a few minutes to settle and clear. Wise not to inhale too much of that stuff - kinda like coal dust. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I was having a good day...
    Large BGE
    Lexington, SC
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    RO MSDS...

Everything we touch/use is gonna kill us. It seems.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    It is interesting that someone was grinding this up and using it as salt!

INGESTION: Not likely, if swallowed seek medical attention

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• D_Train
    D_Train Posts: 47
    Only known to cause cancer in the state of California.
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    I do think it's wise to limit the amount of dust/smoke you inhale.  I try to be conscious of that. 
    Southern California
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

If we all die young..........................................we'll be dead.

Actually, a bit late for me to worry about dying young.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I had the same thought years ago when I bought the Egg, I have always held my breath and walked away fast after dumping. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    How about the ash?  It that just as dangerous?  I often see white dust clouds floating by during the day-after cleanup... :(

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• Everyone dies of something. Death by barbecue is how I want to go.
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    I was a mechanic for 30+ years & I inhaled enough weird stuff that I don't think a little charcoal dust is gonna do me in any sooner. Butt I do hold my breath & walk away when I dump, don't like blowin black boogers. :D

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    #1...breathing a little dust every now and then isn't going to kill you.

#2...Ozark Oak has no dust.

#3...if that's all we have to worry about...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    henapple said:
    #1...breathing a little dust every now and then isn't going to kill you. #2...Ozark Oak has no dust. #3...if that's all we have to worry about...
    Regarding point #2:  I just ordered my first couple bags of Ozark Oak.  They arrived today.  Haven't opened the box yet, but very glad to hear about the minimal dust.
    Southern California
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    There's less dust than all I've tried. If you turn over the end of the bag, stick your head in the dust... Inhale really deep 8 times a day... In 40 years you'll die.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Solution: don't breathe the frickin' dust.
    I treat any dust or otherwise material as bad to breathe.  Live the lifestyle of prudent behavior, not paranoia.  (I'm making fun of ya here)....  ;)

Air, that's sum good stuff.

Unless you are Shirley Maclaine you are going to leave the planet and not come back-pick your poison and enjoy life.  Extrapolated to the end-game the death expectancy of life is 100%.  In my case I have accumulated enough laps of the Sun to not worry much about lump dust or other routine life events.  Wish I had had the foresight to get a BGE when those things mattered.  FWIW and YMMV-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I'm a dead man.

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • *Note to self - no more rubbing of dust on gums*
    No I am not addicted to bbqing...
    :D
  • CAT Seller
    CAT Seller Posts: 208
    Isn't that what nose hairs are for - to catch that kind of stuff?
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Hate to admit it, I place handfuls gently in my baby egg. No dust, reach in from the top and grab handfuls. I try and ensure large pieces are on bottom, etc. If there is dust on the bottom of the bag, I toss the bag once i get there.

Anyway, the death rate holding steady at 100 percent last I checked.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932

Isn't that what nose hairs are for - to catch that kind of stuff?

Those are for creating buggers, kids use them as snacks. :)
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • CAT Seller
    CAT Seller Posts: 208
    sumoconnell Posts: 212 8:53PM CAT Seller said: Isn't that what nose hairs are for - to catch that kind of stuff? Those are for creating buggers, kids use them as snacks. It get more of those mowing the yard (North Fla area), then loading the egg with lump, so I should be fine.
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • You could always wear an N95 particulate mask. They are inexpensive and disposable.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    I think the odds of getting colon cancer from consuming smoked foods daily is higher than getting lung disease from lump. Put on a mask and you'll have just one thing to worry about.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited August 2013
    It is interesting that someone was grinding this up and using it as salt!

INGESTION: Not likely, if swallowed seek medical attention
    Can we revisit this idea?? It doesn't make sense to me, but no one else commented before it fell off. A few people said they did it, I don't see the advantage, just that it is a bad idea.  And @thebaron , if your gonna flag a comment, have the balls to say something about your thoughts.

XLBGE 
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    I'm thinking the bourbon will get us before the dust
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    theres probably enough asbestos in my lungs to keep my lungs from harms way of lump dust. 5th generation boiler maker
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    I'm more concerned about the hickory smoke when putting meat on the BGE.  You always get blasted no matter what you do when you open the lid after the egg has come up to temp.  As with anything else, you can't live your life being scared of your shadow.