Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Retaining bracket for dome thermo

The bracket that holds my dome thermo to the Egg no longer functions.  It slips off easily and the thermo rattles around even when the bracket does stay in place.  I have the newer style of dome thermo (Tel-Tru).  Should I just get another bracket from my dealer, or is there a better thermo with which I should be working?  I use my Maverick to monitor the temp after I have food on the Egg, but I like to be able to monitor preheating at a glance by rotating my dome thermo until my desired temp is at 12 o'clock (one of the first tricks I learned reading this forum).

Also, do small pieces on the Egg normally fail at this rate?  In three months, I've had a cracked fire ring, broken bolts (the ones attaching the hinge to the dome's retaining band), and now this (admittedly minor) failure.  The Egg's warranty is great, but still, that's a piece a month.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.

Comments

• TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 2,790
    I threw the thermo bracket away. You don't need it, and without it it's easier to remove the thermo to calibrate, and you can still easily rotate to the 12 o'clock position.

I've had my LBGE for almost 2 years with no part failures.
    I removed the retainer clip as it was not needed and facilitated easier calibrations. Additionally I found that it makes it easier to rotate the thermometer so that your desired temp for your cook is at the 12 position making it easier to read from a distance.
  • RRPRRP Posts: 12,857
    What the others have said...besides gravity keeps that thermometer in the dome! Additionally when you use that spring clip you risk turning the dial by accident and that tight grip will hold the probe and throw off your calibration! Throw it in the trash !

• SaturdayFatterdaySaturdayFatterday Posts: 464
    edited July 2013
    Thanks, all.  Gone it goes.  The biggest advantage I found to having the clip was that I could hold the thermo in place - but protruding outward from the dome an inch or so - to give me a little more room on my way-up-high pizza cooks.  For those, though, I don't really need the thermo at all once the Egg's kickin', so I'll just remove it.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • SpringramSpringram Posts: 417
    Pitch it like you have already done did.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 6,765
    Get yourself a wine cork. cut it to desired length, drill a hole the size of the probe and insert. Mine is about 3 years old and still in good shape.
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

"Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
  • Fred19FlintstoneFred19Flintstone Posts: 4,065
    edited July 2013

I tossed the clip & grabbed a Tinker Toy to elevate the thermo if I'm high in the dome.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

• StreetgliderStreetglider Posts: 103
    Regarding the spring clip, I have attempted to remove mine several times and haven't been able to get it or the thermo out.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  My next attempt will be with either channel-lock pliers or vise grips.

LBGE, Grill Extender, 5 burner Char-Broil gasser that hold my eggessories
  • Regarding the spring clip, I have attempted to remove mine several times and haven't been able to get it or the thermo out.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  My next attempt will be with either channel-lock pliers or vise grips.
    Compress the clip and it should come off easy.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

• RACRAC Posts: 1,144
    Get yourself a wine cork. cut it to desired length, drill a hole the size of the probe and insert. Mine is about 3 years old and still in good shape.
    +1

Ricky

Spring, TX

• CharlesmaneriCharlesmaneri Posts: 1,284
    I dont think that you can buy just the thermo clip you have to buy a new thermometer and it will come with a new clip 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 6,765
    Regarding the spring clip, I have attempted to remove mine several times and haven't been able to get it or the thermo out.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  My next attempt will be with either channel-lock pliers or vise grips.
    Sounds like you have a grease/gunk buildup on the probe preventing the clip from sliding off. Take something with a sharp edge (like the END of a single edge razor blade - not the cutting edge though) and scrape off some of the buildup. Should come right off.

When it does, throw it away.
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

"Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
  • dweebs0rdweebs0r Posts: 492
    Great idea!
    -Jody Newell (LBGE & finally a mini BGE!)
  • BotchBotch Posts: 2,362
    Huh, when mine got loose I just bent it a bit with my fingers to tighten it back up, but it sounds like everyone else is tossing their's.  

They still make TinkerToys?!?  
    :-bd

I Know Why The Egged Bird Sings.

Ogden, Utard.  
  • StreetgliderStreetglider Posts: 103
    Gunk buildup definitely, thanks for the razor blade idea, was also considering a small brass brush or some steel wool

LBGE, Grill Extender, 5 burner Char-Broil gasser that hold my eggessories
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,165

@Botch, not sure if they are still making TT's or not, but they are still putting corks in wine bottles!

Yep, toss the clip!

B-)
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • BotchBotch Posts: 2,362
    jaydub58 said:

@Botch, not sure if they are still making TT's or not, but they are still putting corks in wine bottles!

:(  Sadly, it should be the other way around...

I Know Why The Egged Bird Sings.

Ogden, Utard.  
  • Yeah, they still make Tinker Toys.  I bought those last year I think.  I grabbed that connector off the floor after bedtime.  Funny things happen to toys that aren't put away before bedtime!

• bettysnephewbettysnephew Posts: 669
    It is also wise to remove the thermometer when doing a clean burn or it will go around past the lower portion of the scale and likely need recalibration 
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa