Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oh no....how to fix this?

Bad day today!!! I went to recheck my bolts and had a nut come off in my hand from the hinge section that attaches to the band.I do have an extra nut and bolt that came with the egg.Im pissed to say the least as my egg is only 1.5 months old.

Guess I have to take it all apart?
Maybe I over tightened it to begin with??
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    This is not a problem at all. But I'm confused as to where the bolt went?? How'd it get out from between the hinge and the dome??

All you need to do is loosen the top ring enough to get that extra bolt in that hole and then put the nut back on

XLBGE 
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Bolt head broke of still squat between base and band, I can see it inside the band holes.

• I broke 2 when I did a retighten on all bolts.  Called a clinch pin, got 2 free from my BGE dealer, couldnt find them at menards. 

DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN THEM.  There is a very small head on the bolt that breaks easily.  

IMO, Only bolts that need to be retightened are the band bolts til they bend a bit
  • Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    you can also call the mothership and have them send a bag of bolts n  nuts hardware. Had same problem on xl. Got couple of bolts from Dealer then called mothership. 2 days had a new bag of them.. Like you, would think for the$$$$$ the bolts would be better.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• OVERULD
    OVERULD Posts: 47
    Guess I need to check my bolts too.  Thanks for the heads up not to over-tighten.  

BJ
    Men of integrity expect to be believed, but when they aren't, they allow time to prove them right.
  • CANMAN1976
    Jebpot said:
    you can also call the mothership and have them send a bag of bolts n  nuts hardware. Had same problem on xl. Got couple of bolts from Dealer then called mothership. 2 days had a new bag of them.. Like you, would think for the$$$$$ the bolts would be better.
    AGREE 100% with the price of the egg here in canada at 1200 bucksyou would  figure the bolts would tolerate a little stress better.

Its sad actually this egg racket...i'm here at work trying to do my job and all I can think about is fixing this damn thing!!!  My wife thinks  i'm crazy cause she already warned me about adjusting things too much and breaking something.Guess she was right again!!!

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Jebpot said:
    AGREE 100% with the price of the egg here in canada at 1200 bucksyou would  figure the bolts would tolerate a little stress better.

Its sad actually this egg racket...i'm here at work trying to do my job and all I can think about is fixing this damn thing!!!  My wife thinks  i'm crazy cause she already warned me about adjusting things too much and breaking something.Guess she was right again!!!

Just don't tell her and you will be fine.
  • CANMAN1976
    Problem fixed but a new one develops.
    Now I have a chip where the bands tighten.hope it doesn't get worse.

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Hope that it is ok but there is that lifetime warranty.

Gerhard
  • CANMAN1976
    Its sucks big-time but doesn't appear to affect performance...yet.Hopefully it just stays the same size and dosen't get larger.Emailed my dealer today but I got a feeling It won't be covered?
    We'll see what happens!

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    You'll be fine. My Ag looks like someone rolled it down a hill... Still works great. BTW... Broke one of my bolts early on. Never replaced it. Guess I need to.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Why do you feel it won't be covered?  

Gerhard
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    As long as your seal is good and the lid is held snug I wouldn't worry about much .. My lid band is actually bent in the rear from over cranking the bolt .. but everything is fine .. I'm just going to leave it until there is a problem.
  • CANMAN1976
    Thanks guys it fully functional so I'm not going to think bout it anymore. I figured it would not be covered because they would think I over tightrned the band and damaged the dome So it was user error???

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Relax.  Have a beer.  Your Egg will function just fine.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    I'm missing one of the nuts on mine. It broke on me. Same with the little head on the bolts. Pretty cheap bolts IMO.
    NW IOWA
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited August 2013
    You are not alone with breaking off the clinch studs, seems many here have. Unless it is a torque wrench, I'd advise against using a socket wrench to tighten these nuts, a common 6" wrench is much better.
    Although the band bolts have a torque spec (125 in lbs) the 1/4" clinch studs attaching the hinge to the bands simply say to tighten. I assumed the 1/4" clinch studs to be same as an SAE 2 class fastener, so no more than 50 to 60 inch pounds of torque.
    Interesting to note that the BGE assembly instructions indicate the use of clinch bolts and keps nuts (K-nut). A K-nut has an attached washer, usually toothed. My egg came with common Acorn nuts.  
    Keep a 7/16" box end wrench by the egg and check the handle and hinge to band nuts every now and then. Much better to just snug them up and then check if they seem loose.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!