Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small BGE Daisy Wheel question

Options
I finally got tired of having to take the daisy wheel off my small every time I open the thing and put a ring of felt around the vent opening. Well now the daisy wheel won't fit over the vent... What sort of plan Bs have you guys and gals come up with?
Killen, AL (The Shoals)
XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Put the felt on the inside of the daisy wheel instead.........
  • Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    Options
    Don't even use the daisy wheel. I have along with many others seem to have noticed that you can get all the control needed by just controlling the bottom air vent. 

I have not used my daisy wheel since after the first few cooks. Just my opinion. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I've never had one fall off my med or large.  Try cutting 1" sections of felt and putting them at 90 degree intervals.
    Options
    Just don't use it at all. Works just fine for me.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options

Nola, It's not a problem with my XL, but the lip on the small vent is so short that the ceramic top and DW will fall off if opened.

Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options

Nola, It's not a problem with my XL, but the lip on the small vent is so short that the ceramic top and DW will fall off if opened.

It appears to be a problem related to how far the various incarnations of the hinges allow you to open your lid.  I've got all old Eggs (probably 2001 to 2004 time frame) and non of them have a problem with either cap coming off.  The large and medium have the old autolock hinge while the small has a spring hinge.
    The Naked Whiz