Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help purchasing a Kitchenaid Mixer

Options
I have a few questions for those who own or know about Kitchenaid mixers. Long story short, I am able to buy this mixer from my local best buy store for $100 brand new. I want to know if there is a better one I should be looking at, or if this one is a good one. Also, what attachments should I get while I am at it? I know a lot of you guys use these and just need to know before I get it, what model, and why. I want the ability to grind my own meat and make noodles and such, basically when I do buy one, I want to have every option and do not want to sell myself short.

Thanks

KCOO

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

Comments

• Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    Options
    I would get the biggest one they make which I believe is a 6qt  then I would get the food grinder and the pasta maker the reason I say the biggest is because bigger is better I have the 5 qt  at the time I bought mine that was the biggest they made 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • dmarois
    dmarois Posts: 52
    Options
    I've had experience with a few of them. If budget is an issue just do not get the lowest wattage machine that they make, I believe it is a 250, it tends to struggle with certain doughs etc. If it is just for personal use the 300 is generally fine.
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I may be incorrect but I believe any more unless you purchase in the 'professional' series, you get a mixer with plastic gears. Not necessarily bad because I believe KA is very good about repairing under warranty but I wanted metal gears. Here's mine. I've heard that the meat grinder leaves a little bit to be desired but haven't used one. The only attachment I have is the fruit and vegetable strainer. I use it to make applesauce and it works great. http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-FVSFGA-Vegetable-Strainer-Grinder/dp/B00004SGFJ
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Options

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• michigan_jason
    Options
    dmarois said:
    I've had experience with a few of them. If budget is an issue just do not get the lowest wattage machine that they make, I believe it is a 250, it tends to struggle with certain doughs etc. If it is just for personal use the 300 is generally fine.
    I just posted the link to the one I can get brand new for 100. I can pick my color and get any of the professional 600 series.

• michigan_jason
    Options
    Kitchenaid professional 600 series.

• michigan_jason
    Options
    Hibby said:
    I may be incorrect but I believe any more unless you purchase in the 'professional' series, you get a mixer with plastic gears. Not necessarily bad because I believe KA is very good about repairing under warranty but I wanted metal gears. Here's mine. I've heard that the meat grinder leaves a little bit to be desired but haven't used one. The only attachment I have is the fruit and vegetable strainer. I use it to make applesauce and it works great. http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-FVSFGA-Vegetable-Strainer-Grinder/dp/B00004SGFJ
    Looks like the same series you have. I will also be capable of getting cost on all accessories. Basically half off of all prices, and then some as the margin in this department is 40-70%

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,473
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Dayam, do they do mail order???  A 600 Series for $100 is a bahgain!  
    One thing to check, will the 600 series fit under your cupboards?  I went with the "Artisan" because the Pro didn't fit (this was a long time ago) and its worked fine for me for over ten years.  

Hibby, I thought I read somewhere that Kitchenaid figured out they were throwing their reputation down the drain, and they went back to a beefier, metal construction, FWIW.  If Jason can get the 600 for a benjamin its a moot point.  

Let us know what you do!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• michigan_jason
    Options
    Botch said:
    Dayam, do they do mail order???  A 600 Series for $100 is a bahgain!  
    One thing to check, will the 600 series fit under your cupboards?  I went with the "Artisan" because the Pro didn't fit (this was a long time ago) and its worked fine for me for over ten years.  

Hibby, I thought I read somewhere that Kitchenaid figured out they were throwing their reputation down the drain, and they went back to a beefier, metal construction, FWIW.  If Jason can get the 600 for a benjamin its a moot point.  

Let us know what you do!  

Yes, I can pick any one at the link I posted and get it actually for less than $100. Also any accessories I want for over 50% off.

• michigan_jason
    Options
    My question is this.

Is there a better kitchenaid mixer I should be buying. I want the best, I typically do not settle for less honestly. This time more than ever, money is not an issue at all.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I don't see the $100 mixer.

I took apart my old 275 watt KA mixer to fix a leaky seal and the gears were all metal.  My old mixer worked fine for sausage, pasta (no power needed there) but it struggled a bit if I mixed up a kilo batch of tipo pizza dough (that's a kilo of dry flour, plus water, etc). 

That mixer worked great for about 10 years, I upgraded to a 475 watt (I guess it's the 500 series) pro model - on sale at Sam's for $250.  Has the bowl elevator.  It handles everything I need to do fine. The 600 series (6qt bowl) cost twice as much, and is slightly larger.  Didn't think I needed to spend the extra money. 

I still need to put my old KA (which still works like new) on craigslist..it's taking up space.
    Options
    I don't see the $100 mixer.

I took apart my old 275 watt KA mixer to fix a leaky seal and the gears were all metal.  My old mixer worked fine for sausage, pasta (no power needed there) but it struggled a bit if I mixed up a kilo batch of tipo pizza dough (that's a kilo of dry flour, plus water, etc). 

That mixer worked great for about 10 years, I upgraded to a 475 watt (I guess it's the 500 series) pro model - on sale at Sam's for $250.  Has the bowl elevator.  It handles everything I need to do fine. The 600 series (6qt bowl) cost twice as much, and is slightly larger.  Didn't think I needed to spend the extra money. 

I still need to put my old KA (which still works like new) on craigslist..it's taking up space.
    @nolaegghead

I can get the professional 600 series as in the link for $569 for less than $100 from my local best buy store. It will end up costing me less than $100 with the discounts I am getting. Brand new in the box, my choice. I just need to know if there is a better model I want to get for maybe a little more money, or if the 600 pro series if sufficient,

• Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    I don't think you'll find anything higher from kitchen aid. Cuisinart makes a nice mixer too.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • michigan_jason
    edited July 2013
    Options

Hibby said:
    I don't think you'll find anything higher from kitchen aid. Cuisinart makes a nice mixer too.
    We have the cuisinart elite 14cup food processor and really like that, but I think the kitchenaid mixer wins.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    @michigan_jason - that's a pretty kick-ass deal.  They're losing money on that (don't know what you did to get the discounts, however).  As far as it meeting your needs goes, the "Professional" title is just a marketing thing - it's "prosumer" - best they sell for home owners, or if you need to make small batches commercially.  There are hundreds of commercial mixers out that are better.  These can range in the thousands to millions of dollars.

If you're catering or running a pizza shop or some business where you need to make large batches, it's a matter of capacity.  If you're making stuff at the house, it should be more than sufficient, and at that price, unless you can apply your discounts to something you need more, it would be silly to not buy it (you can resell it on eBay and make a few hundred bucks). 

But like I said, I don't know what you have invested in the discounts.  If you think they'd benefit the forum, please let us know how to get the same deal.
    Options
    @michigan_jason - that's a pretty kick-ass deal.  They're losing money on that (don't know what you did to get the discounts, however).  As far as it meeting your needs goes, the "Professional" title is just a marketing thing - it's "prosumer" - best they sell for home owners, or if you need to make small batches commercially.  There are hundreds of commercial mixers out that are better.  These can range in the thousands to millions of dollars.

If you're catering or running a pizza shop or some business where you need to make large batches, it's a matter of capacity.  If you're making stuff at the house, it should be more than sufficient, and at that price, unless you can apply your discounts to something you need more, it would be silly to not buy it (you can resell it on eBay and make a few hundred bucks). 

But like I said, I don't know what you have invested in the discounts.  If you think they'd benefit the forum, please let us know how to get the same deal.
    I would absolutely share with the forum if there was anything that I could help out with. This is just a good contact in HQ that has told us that due to a mistake that was made when the installers we out here installing my dishwasher, he will take care of us (cost on anything anytime.) He also gave us $250 in gift cards so far. Also, I managed my local best buy store from 2002-2006. I can get anything at cost with additional discounts.

• michigan_jason
    Options
    @nolaegghead

Cost is approx $350 on it.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    your not going to beet that deal, thats less than they quoted me to repair mine.
    :)) i bought mine for 15 dollars at a yard sale with a burnt out circuit board, posted it here and chefrd sent me the board for free
    :D ebay had bigger grinding plates for the grinder attachment, it needs a bigger plate for certain sausages and for the rougher ground burger for chili
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    I just want to be able to take some steaks, and throw the in there, and make fresh steak burgers. Make some fresh noodles here and there, some homemade sassssidge lol (sausage) and you know make some stuff lol.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That deal seems like a no brainer to me!  I would go for it.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokinTiger81
    Options

I have the Pro 600 and would highly recommend it.  Use for regular mixing, kneading pizza dough (it comes with a spiral dough hook), and I recently bought the meat grinder attachment.  I am pretty sure the Pro 600 is top of line in retail stores.

None of us can get your deal on pricing with Best Buy.  However, I did buy a second one last year for wedding present for daughter, and got it from $549 retail down to $170 after rebates, coupons, etc.  (Had to wait until Kitchenaide had online rebate since that was one of the $50 rebates).  Here is a link to my post where I detailed process and coupons (too much to retype here)

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1290697&catid=1#

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Jason, the 600 has more than enough power to do all that stuff.  The extra power is nice when you're mixing up huge batches of thick dough on low speeds.  Other than that, the low end models of the KA mixers will do everything you mentioned.
    Options

I have the Pro 600 and would highly recommend it.  Use for regular mixing, kneading pizza dough (it comes with a spiral dough hook), and I recently bought the meat grinder attachment.  I am pretty sure the Pro 600 is top of line in retail stores.

None of us can get your deal on pricing with Best Buy.  However, I did buy a second one last year for wedding present for daughter, and got it from $549 retail down to $170 after rebates, coupons, etc.  (Had to wait until Kitchenaide had online rebate since that was one of the $50 rebates).  Here is a link to my post where I detailed process and coupons (too much to retype here)

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1290697&catid=1#

That still looks like a hell of a deal.

What attachments do I want? (wife said that they have a lot of options.)

• SmokinTiger81
    Options

It comes with regular beater, whisk for whip cream, and spiral dough hook.  Only extra thing I added later was meat grinder.  They have cheese grater, ice cream maker, but I use food processor for cheese grating and ice cream churn for IC, so I really only needed to add meat grinder.  I guess just check out Kitchenaid site with wife and see if any other accessories interest you.  I am happy with meat grinder but I mainly do ground beef for burgers.  The expert sausage makers and grinders would recommend a designated grinder rather than KA (however, KA was rated very high by CooksIllustrated--best option for not having a whole separate meat grinder).

Good luck

• SmokinTiger81
    Options

PS--on second thought, since you have the Best Buy deal, I think the additional KA accessory you should review with the wife is the surround sound, home theater, big screen and projector option-- this would be the next nice KA accessory you should discuss with your wife--will help you not hear the thing running while she is kneading the pizza dough.

And the $170 was  great deal and anyone can do it with a little patience by following the process for discounts in the link I posted.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    They have a Pro Line that features a 7qt bowl:

http://www.kitchenaid.com/shop/countertop-appliances-1/countertop-appliances-2/pro-line®-series-3/-[KSM7586PCA]-401694/KSM7586PCA/

Also, they have commercial:

http://www.kitchenaid.com/shop/countertop-appliances-1/countertop-appliances-2/stand-mixers-3/-[KSM7990WH]-401083/KSM7990WH/

My local best buy carries all types of professional kitchen equipment...a recent addition after our remodel. Pretty cool to walk around and drool over a $40,000 kitchen. Lol
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • michigan_jason
    Options

PS--on second thought, since you have the Best Buy deal, I think the additional KA accessory you should review with the wife is the surround sound, home theater, big screen and projector option-- this would be the next nice KA accessory you should discuss with your wife--will help you not hear the thing running while she is kneading the pizza dough.

And the $170 was  great deal and anyone can do it with a little patience by following the process for discounts in the link I posted.

HAHAHAHAHHA

Doing that for sure.

• michigan_jason
    Options
    @cazzy

That pro line is what I was looking at rather than the 600 series professional. I would get it for about $150 more, just don't think I need that much.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Have the 600 Pro, 6 qt bowl, been on the counter for years. You can mix cement in this thing, or make pizza dough for a single 14" pie. 
    The most used attachments are:
    Grinder - makes excellent ground beef/pork/turkey.
    Shredder - makes a mountain of slaw for pulled pork events. 
    Never used the pasta maker, son's MIL is Italian - she looks after that for us. 
    Great buy, happy mixing!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • brianbala
    brianbala Posts: 29
    Options
    michigan_jason - in the spirit of RAKit last week, feel free to apply your discount to the nice 70" Samsung smart TV I've had my eye on for my new man-cave...  KCCO 
    Two Large Eggs - Located in Marietta, GA (East Cobb)