Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Preparing/Planning for a Party

2»

Comments

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Any other ideas besides flank steaks?  I priced them yesterday and they are as bad a skirts. 

I am cooking 4 8lb butts but need something else.

Was thinking maybe sausage and peppers cooked two days before the party and reheated in the oven - but is that too much pork?

I only have a large so real estate is an concern.  I really dont want "London broils" as they are a weird cut of meat that never renders our great - even on the egg.

Hamburgers - will be a raging fire on the Egg with drippings plus time consuming.

Cooking baked beans on Thursday night and could do the sausage then if I do it.

Butts go on Friday night around 7.

Hoping the butts are done by 10-11 so I can prep the Egg for ABT's/Pigshots at 2 when the guests arrive for 3:00 appetizer servings.

Planning on dinner at 5:30 ish so that leaves some time to cook some beef or chicken.

4 days to the party and I need to iron my plan out.

Garnerville, NY
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Why would burgers be a raging fire?  If you have flare ups they will be short lived as long as you keep the lid closed.

Gerhard
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Tri-tip or flat iron steak is also good for a crowd, but may not be any cheaper than flank.  You could also consider using chuck roast and making pulled beef but it takes more time/room.  If you are looking for something quick then the flanken cut short ribs cook up very fast. 

Honestly I think with 4 butts and ABTs/ pig shots you will have plenty of food but if you want to mix up the menu with some beef that is understandable.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• robnybbq
    That was my plan just to have something besides pork - I know of at least one poor soul that is coming that cant eat pork. Just debating on 3 or 4 butts now.  Each at ~ 8lbs.

I am not thinking of throwing on a bunch of chicken wings/legs 1/2 coffee rub and 1/2 Buffalo/Cajun style to go along with the pork instead of the steak.

This will give me ABT's/Pigshots and shrimp for appetizers.  Pulled Pork with cheap hamburger buns, sweet n sour meatballs and chicken wings for dinner.

Desert will be icecream, grilled pineapple slices (with pineapple head rub) cookies and brownies.

Lots of beer and liquor.

And since I am low carb it will be Crystal light Arnold palmers with Tito's all day and then switch up to either JW Blue or Van Winkle 12 with a nice cigar in the evening.

Garnerville, NY
  • SmokeyPitt
    Sounds like a great party to me!   Wings are always a great addition to the menu. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Smokin_Trout
    Smokin_Trout Posts: 506
    Soak pineapple rings in rum, then grill with brown sugar on top.
  • robnybbq
    Soak pineapple rings in rum, then grill with brown sugar on top.
    Will try some of them as well.  Thanks.

Garnerville, NY
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    I just cooked 4 8lb bone in butts on my large, yield was about 6 lbs of meat per butt. I would do more than 2 butts for that many people
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    When we throw a party, everyone asks "what can I bring".  Let them bring the apps, you can focus on the meats.  Dogs on the gasser will be good for the kids and probably some of the adults

If you want the PP to be fresh, pull it, sauce it, and put in a crock pot on the "keep warm" setting if you have one.  borrow extra crock pots if needed.  You could also put in covered foil pans and hold in the oven at about 175 if you aren't cooking something else.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    If your need more food you could get a bunch of Brats, (Costco sells a 14 pack for $10) brown them for 15 minutes or so and put them in a foil pan on the gasser with beer, sliced onions and green peppers. Simmer for an hour and they are done and taste great. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Damn, This has really become a TEAM effort. I love how everyone post their suggestions. 

I just dropped a misty tear..... LOL 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • SmokeyPitt
    GATABITES said:
    Damn, This has really become a TEAM effort. I love how everyone post their suggestions. 

I feel like we should all be invited to the party ;)

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    GATABITES said:

robnybbq yet. 

I will bring the stogies. :ar!
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • robnybbq

GATABITES said:
    GATABITES said:

robnybbq yet. 

I will bring the stogies. :ar!
    Come on up.  Saturday at 2:00 PM to whenever I pass out.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq

I just cooked 4 8lb bone in butts on my large, yield was about 6 lbs of meat per butt. I would do more than 2 butts for that many people
    I am debating on 3 or 4 butts now.  Good to have some leftovers I guess.

The ABT's/Pigshots should be easy enough to do.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    OK - party was a success.  Thanks All.

4 butts, pig shots, ABT's, chicken legs, and Pineapples for desert.  (other salads were out as well) - Lots of libations (No more Tequilla for a while).

~40 adults (Can believe my deck is still standing with allot of people on it).  ~15 kids running around and in the pool.

Everyone raved about the food and some asked me to cook for their parties soon.

Egg was a mess after the party but did a clean burn yesterday evening and all is good now.

It really is amazing that we fed all those people off of a "Large" Egg only.  The gasser was standing by and for storage but did not use it but for storage and a place to put the ceramic stones to cool off. 

That means I will be getting rid of the gasser soon and will make an outdoor kitchen type cabinet with storage and a stone top where the gasser is now.  I need counter top real estate for placing food before/during/after cooks and storage for all the Egg stuff.

Garnerville, NY