Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast iron grate

Hi all I just picked up a cast iron grate for my large egg, do I need to season it? I remember when I picked up my gas BBQ yrs ago I had to use vegetable shortening on the cast iron grates and bake them in the oven. Thank you

Comments

• RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Wouldn't hurt to season it. Did you get the BGE brand?
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I'd do it anyways, but just season in the egg. No point in smelling up the house.
    Dunedin, FL
  • dougbacker
    dougbacker Posts: 277
    The seasoning is just gonna burn off when you do nuke steaks....Don't waist ur time

--------------------------------------------------------
    South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

And a deck box full of toy's

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    The seasoning is just gonna burn off when you do nuke steaks....Don't waist ur time

+1 it will burn right off. Just cook on it everyday
    ;)

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I'd burn off the funky mill oil by heating it up hot on the egg.   Then oil it and you're ready to go.  Every time you heat it up to 700F and above you'll burn off the seasoning.  You don't want it to rust, so oil it whenever and if ever you heat it up that hot. 
    Thanks everyone
  • Bearlodge
    Bearlodge Posts: 45
    I have been trying to decide if the cast iron grate is worth the investment. Your opinions please.
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Absolutely worth it for steaks, burgers and sausages. Great char. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    when I got mine I coated it with olive oil  and every time I use it I do the same and I have had no trouble at all and if you keep it oiled up it will not rust 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    I love my CIG. (XL has two 1/2-rounds)  
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited July 2013
    Bearlodge said:
    I have been trying to decide if the cast iron grate is worth the investment. Your opinions please.
    I am in the NO camp. I have given mine away. I like the SS as for the weight most of all. I can live w/o the marks on my food from that grate. Second I don't have to store it.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    What?? No Grill marks???   With the split CI for the XL, I can take 1/2 out and put my branding iron in the fire so I can brand my initial on my work... :)

• Thanks for your comments. After reading "Serious Barbeque" I think I am going to get it. @Charlesmaneri, This same book recommends coating with Canola oil not Olive oil as the smoking point is preferable. I have been using Olive oil on my grates but am going to switch based on the author's recommendation.  In any case Canola is much cheaper.
  • Charlesmaneri
    Bearlodge  Im Sicilian and the only oil I use is Olive oil I use it for everything !

2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • I am Italian background as well. I prefer olive oil as you do but on the grate no flavor is added to the food so why waste such a good thing as Extra virgin cold press. ;;)
  • Charlesmaneri
    I hear you but olive oil is the only oil we keep in stock 
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Must admit for reverse sear on steaks and for raised direct chicken breasts or souvlaki I use the CI grid. SWMBO likes the grill marks rather than a full charred exterior. Most steak experts like the full mahogany finish of meat and seasoning you get when using a SS type grid or flamed with a torch. It is just not what we enjoy. 
    CI grids do take more work than a SS grid if you try to keep them seasoned. 

Son's Italian MIL is same camp as @Bearlodge, use EVOO only where you will be able to taste it. For grid seasoning, Canola does it. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!