Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Retaining bracket for dome thermo

Options
The bracket that holds my dome thermo to the Egg no longer functions.  It slips off easily and the thermo rattles around even when the bracket does stay in place.  I have the newer style of dome thermo (Tel-Tru).  Should I just get another bracket from my dealer, or is there a better thermo with which I should be working?  I use my Maverick to monitor the temp after I have food on the Egg, but I like to be able to monitor preheating at a glance by rotating my dome thermo until my desired temp is at 12 o'clock (one of the first tricks I learned reading this forum).

Also, do small pieces on the Egg normally fail at this rate?  In three months, I've had a cracked fire ring, broken bolts (the ones attaching the hinge to the dome's retaining band), and now this (admittedly minor) failure.  The Egg's warranty is great, but still, that's a piece a month.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I threw the thermo bracket away. You don't need it, and without it it's easier to remove the thermo to calibrate, and you can still easily rotate to the 12 o'clock position.

I've had my LBGE for almost 2 years with no part failures.
    Mkline Posts: 180
    Options
    I removed the retainer clip as it was not needed and facilitated easier calibrations. Additionally I found that it makes it easier to rotate the thermometer so that your desired temp for your cook is at the 12 position making it easier to read from a distance.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    What the others have said...besides gravity keeps that thermometer in the dome! Additionally when you use that spring clip you risk turning the dial by accident and that tight grip will hold the probe and throw off your calibration! Throw it in the trash !
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SaturdayFatterday
    SaturdayFatterday Posts: 468
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Thanks, all.  Gone it goes.  The biggest advantage I found to having the clip was that I could hold the thermo in place - but protruding outward from the dome an inch or so - to give me a little more room on my way-up-high pizza cooks.  For those, though, I don't really need the thermo at all once the Egg's kickin', so I'll just remove it.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Options
    Pitch it like you have already done did.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Get yourself a wine cork. cut it to desired length, drill a hole the size of the probe and insert. Mine is about 3 years old and still in good shape.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited July 2013
    Options

I tossed the clip & grabbed a Tinker Toy to elevate the thermo if I'm high in the dome.

Flint, Michigan
  • Streetglider
    Streetglider Posts: 104
    Options
    Regarding the spring clip, I have attempted to remove mine several times and haven't been able to get it or the thermo out.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  My next attempt will be with either channel-lock pliers or vise grips.

LBGE, Grill Extender, 5 burner Char-Broil gasser that hold my eggessories
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Regarding the spring clip, I have attempted to remove mine several times and haven't been able to get it or the thermo out.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  My next attempt will be with either channel-lock pliers or vise grips.
    Compress the clip and it should come off easy.
    Flint, Michigan
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Get yourself a wine cork. cut it to desired length, drill a hole the size of the probe and insert. Mine is about 3 years old and still in good shape.
    +1

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    Options
    I dont think that you can buy just the thermo clip you have to buy a new thermometer and it will come with a new clip 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Sounds like you have a grease/gunk buildup on the probe preventing the clip from sliding off. Take something with a sharp edge (like the END of a single edge razor blade - not the cutting edge though) and scrape off some of the buildup. Should come right off.

When it does, throw it away.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    Options
    Great idea!
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Huh, when mine got loose I just bent it a bit with my fingers to tighten it back up, but it sounds like everyone else is tossing their's.  

They still make TinkerToys?!?  
    :-bd

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Streetglider
    Streetglider Posts: 104
    Options
    Gunk buildup definitely, thanks for the razor blade idea, was also considering a small brass brush or some steel wool

LBGE, Grill Extender, 5 burner Char-Broil gasser that hold my eggessories
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

@Botch, not sure if they are still making TT's or not, but they are still putting corks in wine bottles!

Yep, toss the clip!

B-)
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    jaydub58 said:

@Botch, not sure if they are still making TT's or not, but they are still putting corks in wine bottles!

:(  Sadly, it should be the other way around...

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options

Yeah, they still make Tinker Toys.  I bought those last year I think.  I grabbed that connector off the floor after bedtime.  Funny things happen to toys that aren't put away before bedtime!

Flint, Michigan
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    It is also wise to remove the thermometer when doing a clean burn or it will go around past the lower portion of the scale and likely need recalibration 
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa