Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Second Cook, first smoke...Addicted already

Options
I just used my egg for the second time and I'm in love already!  My first cook was a steak, pretty basic.  It was a NY strip and I seasoned with salt, pepper, and olive oil and cooked it for 4 min a side on the cast iron grill.  Came out perfect medium rare and was far better then anything my weber gas grill ever produced.  

After reading countless posts about eggsessories and days of back and forth I finally decided on getting the CGS AR B&R Combo.  For my first indirect cook with it I went pretty basic, chicken drumsticks seasoned with salt pepper and olive oil once again.  I cooked them at 350 for 30 min a side with some hickory chips.  After the hour I based them in KC Masterpiece Original and cooked them about 5 more min a side at 400 and moved them to the edges of the grate unblocked by the oval stone so they would get some direct heat and crisp up the skin a little bit.  When I pulled them from the egg the meat was falling off the bone, the meat was moist and the skin was crisp...they were perfect.  I made the entire package of 5 drums with plans of eating 3 and saving the other two for lunch the next day, but they were just too damn good, and I took all 5 down.  

I cannot wait to experiment more with the egg and I am looking forward to doing my first low and slow.  Keep bouncing back and forth between ribs, brisket, and butt.  Too many choices, so many possibilities.  Anyone have any recommendations on which one to start with for a novice egghead?  

Here are some pictures of the chicken:

Before

After 30 min:

After initial cooking, and basted with KC

Finished product:

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Welcome. Looks like you are off to a great start. Those legs look good.
    Options
    Good looking cooks. Welcome to the looney farm.  Most would suggest a pork butt for your first slow and low but I say go with some ribs. I love to do a slab of baby back and a slab of spares with different rubs/sauces. More action! 
  • horoegg
    horoegg Posts: 47
    Options
    Good looking cooks. Welcome to the looney farm.  Most would suggest a pork butt for your first slow and low but I say go with some ribs. I love to do a slab of baby back and a slab of spares with different rubs/sauces. More action! 
    Thanks, great idea!  I never even thought of doing two different types of ribs at once.  Thanks for the advice!
  • Trini_in_Ottawa
    Options
    Welcome to the addiction centre!
    Those legs looked amazing - congratulations on your sucessful cook.
    As a newbie myself - I would recommend ribs - only 4 to 6 hours depending on technique used etc. Compared to 14 - 16 hours for a brisket or butt IMHO.
    Happy egging!
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    To all you newbies, while low and slow is fantastic, search out some turbo cooks.  Haven't seen a successful turbo brisket yet, but everything else can be done in half the time or less. Welcome to the cult.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • erblove
    erblove Posts: 97
    Options
    The 1st step is admitting...welcome aboard. 
    Columbia, SC ~ LBGE, ThermaPen
    I love to eat...sue me!
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Nice looking cook.   Great avatar as well.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Welcome!  The legz look darn tasty.  I would have taken down all 5 easy!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    I'm gonna need to seriously consider the AR sometime soon. That chicken looks killer. Welcome to Eggheads Anonymous. My name is Gary and I'm an Egghead. 12 step process is culminated by a Travis Brisket or Cazzy's Wings. I imagine step 2 revolves around lump selection. Step 3 is your friends telling you to quit talking about your Egg. :)

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life