Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Pork Shoulder....Success

Like many, I had been reading the blog months before getting my LBGE. I had been buying accessories to curb the steep cost of BGE. My wife finally surprised me with the best Father's Day gift EVER. Since then, we have enjoyed numerous meals: Baby-Back Ribs, Cedar Plank Salmon, Rack of Lamb, Steak, Beef Bulgogi, Chicken, Pork Chops, Pizza, oh, can't forget the skillet cookie. We/I have not been disappointed with any of the meals prepared on the egg. My co-workers, ask me towards the end of the week: 'what are you going to do on the egg this weekend, my answer, something fantastic.

I finally got the balls to attempt my first low and slow, pork shoulder, a 11 pound bone-in beauty, from our local Wegmans. Earlier that morning, I had rubbed a generous amount of BBQ 3000, from Penzey Spices, I added a good amount of brown sugar to it as well, wrapped in plastic wrap and let the flavors seep into the shoulder. I filled the egg with Wegmans lump, which I have been happy with, and started her up at 1am; I set up the Maverick, which is fantastic tool, to monitor my grate temperature. I tried to sleep for a couple hours as the temperature made its way to 275 degrees.

At around 3am, the temp was around 275 degrees, I figured the temp would drop a few more degrees after putting I put the shoulder on, which it did. My temp hung between 230 and 250, I used Cherry chunks for my smoke. I set my i phone timer for 2hr increments, to monitor the temp. I had to adjust the temp once during the night, the grate temp dropped to 219 degrees. Don't know how far into the cook it was, I was a little tired. At 830a, the temp was already in the 170's. I was a little surprised, my cook finished up around 1120am, pulled at 187 degrees. The temperature of the shoulder varied, with 187 being the lowest temperature. If I had to do it over again, I probably would have taken it off a little earlier, no worries. I FTC it until 445p. I opened it up, to my surprise, it was still hot, so much that I had to take breaks while breaking it up. No, I don't have a pair of bear claws, yet. My kitchen smelled of freshly baked buns, the rest of the house, was filled with the aroma of a nicely smoked pork shoulder.

I was surprised that I had to monitor the temp so closely, could I have done anything differently? I thought I would be able to set it and forget it. Maybe I'll get there. I live in Northern Virginia, I would love to hear from any VA Eggers, as to where you get your lump, meet up for a cookout, etc.

GO BLUE!

Fairfax, Va

Comments

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    edited July 2013
    Yeah just let the maverick wake you up! As long as you had it settled it good before the cook (I like to give it almost an hour) it should hold well. Getting a high que grate may help since it let's a lot more airflow through without clogging your vents. I try and put my biggest pieces of lump on the bottom (elder ward style), but not everyone does that. Whatever you find you like best. Looks great by the way.
    Dunedin, FL
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Congrats -- Awesome Butt
    Cookin in Texas
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Looks great!  Fresh baked buns smell awesome from here.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    I cheat on my overnights, I use a party q. A friend of mine cooks without anything and it does what it does. He's gone out in the morning to 150 deg pits and just stokes it back up and keeps on cooking. Lesson from him: I've learned to not worry so much.
  • Stargaze
    Stargaze Posts: 68
    This is one of the main benefits of having insomnia, putting the shoulder on at night and tending to it every time i wake up ;)
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    I live in Rochester NY which is also Wegmans country.  I am also buying Wegmans lump and like it better than BGE brand.  Lots of nice big hunks and price here is $6.29 for 10 lbs.  Naked Whiz rates it "Highly Recommended" as it is Royal Oak charcoal in a Wegmans bag.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Great cook! I like your style. I'm in Frederick, MD and also utilize Wegmans as well as Penzeys.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

Nice cook, and great looking sammy!  No coleslaw?????

Actually, looks like you aced it.  As said above, trust the Maverick, let it wake you up if a problem arises.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • mgoblue0484
    mgoblue0484 Posts: 148
    I'll try the larger pieces on the bottom next time and I will take the time to program my low temp alarm. What temp is too low though?

GO BLUE!

Fairfax, Va

• I live in Prince William County, I get all my Egg stuff at Dizzy Pig in Manassass, it's worth a trip over there if you have never been there. They have been alot of help (I bought my Egg there over the summer) and it's where I go to get wood chunks, Dizzy Pig rub, accessories etc.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Personally, I'd set to alarm me at 220.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • I was just at dizzy pig today, picked up a couple rubs which I used one on our steaks tonight, some wood chunks, and a grid lifter. They were very helpful and willing to answer questions. They are having a egg demonstration Wednesday night at 530p, I might check that out.

GO BLUE!

Fairfax, Va

• jaydub58 said:

Nice cook, and great looking sammy!  No coleslaw?????

Actually, looks like you aced it.  As said above, trust the Maverick, let it wake you up if a problem arises.

Yeah, I would have like some slaw, but didn't have any, next time!

GO BLUE!

Fairfax, Va