Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Stubbs vs Rays side by side

TonyATonyA Posts: 566
I had two very similar racks of ribs that I prepared slightly differently from each other. Both had the membrane removed and rubbed the night before. One got a Stubbs Mop and Sweet Heat, the other got no mop and Sweet Baby Rays. I applied the mop only once as I was really looking to impart flavor over moisture. If I was going to mop for moisture I would not use this product more than once as the black pepper spice will quickly overpower other flavors.

The racks came out identical in texture. Take away what you will about the single application of moisture on the one rack. They also looked identical. The Stubbs turned out with a mild heat as opposed to much of a sweet heat. I attribute that to the mop. I liked them a lot but wished they had a touch of sweetness. The Rays always pairs well with my rub and in a light painting of sauce isn't so over the top. Those ribs have universal appeal.

I prefer stubbs ingredients. I'd like to try their mop and sweet sauce and the sweet heat sauce alone.

I didn't take pictures. You guys know what my ribs look like...

Comments

• ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,790

While you're experimenting, try Stubb marinades.  Best I've have.  The beef is the best. Chicken is really good too.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• henapplehenapple Posts: 14,687
    I foil for a hour.. Covered in honey... Gives it the sweetness.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • onedbguruonedbguru Posts: 694
    Ray's now has a Raspberry Chipotle that has a nice sweet/heat combo.  Goes very well on Chicken and salmon.  great flavor....
  • ZickZick Posts: 171

While you're experimenting, try Stubb marinades.  Best I've have.  The beef is the best. Chicken is really good too.

Love the Stubbs beef marinade. Been using it for years. Haven't found one better yet!
    When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO
  • TonyATonyA Posts: 566
    Buddy of mine who does a pretty good brisket says he uses the beef marinade