Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Red snapper

Can someone tell me a good way to grill Red Snapper.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Assuming this is skin-on filet, one simple way is to dredge in butter, apply seasoning, then cook skin up for a few minutes, flip to skin down until it's done.  When the center of the thickest part is just turning opaque it's done.  I like my fish a little on the MR side, so I usually cook to 125F.

Cook direct, maybe a little fruit wood if you want (but it's not on the grill very long).  Temp abound 300-400.  You can also cook on an alder or cedar plank.
    They are actually skin off.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Same process. 

You can also bake them indirect.  Secret with fish is to not overcook.
    Thank you for the help
  • Assuming this is skin-on filet, one simple way is to dredge in butter, apply seasoning, then cook skin up for a few minutes, flip to skin down until it's done.  When the center of the thickest part is just turning opaque it's done.  I like my fish a little on the MR side, so I usually cook to 125F.

Cook direct, maybe a little fruit wood if you want (but it's not on the grill very long).  Temp abound 300-400.  You can also cook on an alder or cedar plank.

+1 although I prefer alder for red snapper, I prefer cedar wirh salmon.
  • JacketJT
    JacketJT Posts: 7
    skin-side down on a maple/alder plank with butter, coarse sea salt + pepper, and covered with very slim slices of lemon.

Pull off the egg when you can separate the skin from the fish
  • Boombotty
    Boombotty Posts: 39
    I blackened some in cast iron over super high heat using Chef Paul's Blackended Redfish Magic and it was some of the best fish I have had.