Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First spatchcok chicken

Got my bird cut up. Hope this works. Oak ridge bbq secret weapon rub

Going on in a hour or so

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

XLBGE 

Comments

• This is your first spatched bird?? That's amazing!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited July 2013

Good for you. Ok, how are you cooking it?

I like 400 raised and direct, but that is just me. Not going to holler at you if different buddy.

:D
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Haha =))

@mickey

I'm going indirect around 210 with some pecan wood. Taking this to a pool party at the folks house tonight. I was thinking your method but wanted to slow smoke the afternoon away.

@fred19flintstone

I know I know, I'm a little slow. I've been freezing these birds when I catch them on sale for a couple bucks.

XLBGE 
  • I'm hard pressed to cook a full bird any other way.  It's a cinch and will turn out great!
    Flint, Michigan
  • MrCookingNurse
    @mickey

you take yours to a temp or time it?

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Was just informed we are leaving earlier than I expected. Temp bumped to 300

XLBGE 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    You may need a somewhat higher temp to get the skin kinda crispy. I don't know if it will be nonrubbery after smoking @ 210°F.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    300 to 400 direct will be just fine. Go easy on the wood.
  • MrCookingNurse

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    edited July 2013
    @caliking

I'm going to step the temp up with the partyQ and get higher. Wife wants to leave sooner than I did. I've done quarters with skin on on my brinkman barrel for around 3 hours and it gets crisp, what I was thinking.

Lets just see what happens since SWMBO called an audible.

XLBGE 
  • New2Q
    New2Q Posts: 171
    Just as another data point I spatched my first chicken (and first cook on the Egg) last week and did raised direct at 400 for about 50 minutes (until breast was 160) and it was wonderful - smokey, moist, with crispy skin (I did leave it in the fridge for about an hour before cooking it).
  • Mickey

@mickey

you take yours to a temp or time it?
    Temp only.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

MCN, I do my spatchcocks (about one a month) just like in your picture.  Raised grid, with some foil to catch drippings.  350-400 dome to 165 breast.  You'll love it!

Please post results.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • MrCookingNurse
    New2Q said:

Just as another data point I spatched my first chicken (and first cook on the Egg) last week and did raised direct at 400 for about 50 minutes (until breast was 160) and it was wonderful - smokey, moist, with crispy skin (I did leave it in the fridge for about an hour before cooking it).

I had it rubbed in the fridge for about an hour as well.

Oh well. Took partyQ off. I'm trying to study but that's not working. Egg is at 350 dome and now I'm just ready to finish this cook. Frustrating when a plan gets blown away.

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Kelly hasn't left the egg since I put the chicken on!

XLBGE 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    No worries, man. Trial and error is what its all about :)

I like smoked chicken wings better than grilled, and I'm yet to get them the way I like them on the egg (just haven't tried enough yet). I loved the wings I used to smoke on my drum smokers at 250°-280°F. Of course they took longer. If you've smoked chix at 210 and liked them, then definitely try on the egg sometime. 

Oh, and I haven't forgotten that I owe you some goodies. I'll get them to ya - have just been swamped recently!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • New2Q
    New2Q Posts: 171

Looks like a smart dog right there - "Hey Dad, I KNOW you put a chicken in there.  Hey Dad, it just MUST still be in there.  Hey Day, did I mention I LOVE chicken!!!!

Kelly hasn't left the egg since I put the chicken on!

• MrCookingNurse
    @380-400 dome

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Pulled at 170 breast 183 thigh. It doesn't look as done as I thought it would. Smells great and juices poured out of the thermo sticks. Will have a taste around 1730

Thanks for the tips guys

XLBGE 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Happy Happy Happy!! Looks good MCN

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

Looks great!  Let us know if it tastes as good as it looks (it will).

You have just started a long, long journey............................

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Kelly hasn't left the egg since I put the chicken on! Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Here's my Baby Ruth
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • EGGATL
    EGGATL Posts: 23

Great Pictures...before and after.

Kelly...before stealing chicken

Baby Ruth......after stealing chicken.

Atlanta, Georgia area
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    3,100 post to finally do a spatchcock ;-) looks great, haven't done one for a while.
    Dunedin, FL
  • MrCookingNurse
    Very very tasty and great compliments from the family. Will be doing again soon! I think it needs to be raised direct though. Skin needed a little more crisp.

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    The oak ridge bbq secret weapon is a little sweet for my taste buds though.

XLBGE 
  • Raised direct at 400 is my go to. 
  • Mickey
    Pulled at 170 breast 183 thigh. It doesn't look as done as I thought it would. Smells great and juices poured out of the thermo sticks. Will have a taste around 1730 Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Thanks for the tips guys

That come out of the OR?

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I kept trying to think of a bbq term for "OR" > and I wasn't getting far, lol.
    Dunedin, FL
  • JaredMD
    JaredMD Posts: 59
    Raised direct will probably give you a crispier skin, but I've always had great success with skin, whether direct or indirect, when leaving the bird uncovered in the fridge for a night or so after spatching it.
    XL BGE - Baltimore, MD