Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

How many spatchcock chickens on a large?

How many spatchock chickens (3 - 4 lb each) can you fit on a single grid on a large? Can you fit three?
·

Comments

• The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    If you find 3 don't fit, you can always try half-cocking them.  I.e. once you remove the keel bone, there is very little holding the two halves together, so you can cut them in half and just cook them as halves.  This gives you a little more flexibility in placement.
    The Naked Whiz
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,978
    I prefer to "half-cock" them too. Much easier to handle on the grid since it doesn't flop around as much. You may be able to fit upto 4-5 if you have a 2nd level to cook on.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • +1 to TNW's comment.  I've fit 3 3-lb. birds on without half-cocking them, but there's no disadvantage to just cooking halves.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
    ·
  • jimi1234jimi1234 Posts: 98
    Fast and helpful feedback. Thanks everybody!
    ·
  • The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    caliking said:
    I prefer to "half-cock" them too. Much easier to handle on the grid since it doesn't flop around as much. You may be able to fit upto 4-5 if you have a 2nd level to cook on.
    You are supposed to kill them before you put them on the grill.  :))
    The Naked Whiz
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,083
    I've been able to fit three small chickens on my MBGE as halves. We have even quartered them to make things easier to fit. As TNW says, half spatched is the best solution. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,626

Once I did two 5 lb spatches on raised grid on my large.

Just pushed them pretty tight together, nose to butt (looked kinda dirty, but, hey!).

Worked well, and I will do it again.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
    ·