Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Cordon Bleu

Options
Looking for something different to grill last night, decided to try my version of Chicken Cordon Bleu on the Egg.  I took boneless breasts, flatten a bit (for consistency) then butterfly them.  Put a layer of ham and Jarlsburg swiss, and also bacon (goes with everything), then closed it back up.  Topped with a spread of mayo and Panko bread crumbs, then onto the egg, raised direct @ 350 for 40 minutes.  Also threw on two sweet potatoes for the full ride, and asparagus (olive oil and kosher salt) for the last 10 minutes.  I put the chicken on foil because some of the cheese always leaks out, and I don't want to lose it. 

Deelish

XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

Oh man, @Cookinbob, if that tasted half as good as it looks, you nailed it.

Super!

^:)^
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Learning to Smoke
    Options
    Looks great!  Quick question re: the sweet potatoes.  At that temp, they were done on 40 mins?  I grill them all the time, however, in my experimentation with different temps (based on temp for the main cook) anything under 400 needs at least an hour, if not more.  Would love to have them work at lower temps. Thx. 
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Actually I cheated. 4 mins in the microwave before they went on. They were fully cooked after 40 min on the grill
    Rochester, NY
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I nuke my spuds before throwing them in the egg/oven all the time.  Oil and salt and 40 minutes you'll get a nice crusty skin.
    Options
    I agree. Since I don't eat the skin on sweet potatoes I did them naked. Idaho's get the oil and salt
    Rochester, NY
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options

I nuke my spuds before throwing them in the egg/oven all the time.  Oil and salt and 40 minutes you'll get a nice crusty skin.

I do the same, but I throw them in the microwave for five minutes, then let cool and chunk them up put on oil and some herbs, into the grill basket for 10 minutes on high heat to crisp up. You'd think they were on the grill the whole time.
    Dunedin, FL
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That looks great!  I love the raised grid improvisation ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Learning to Smoke
    Options
    Cookinbob said:
    Actually I cheated. 4 mins in the microwave before they went on. They were fully cooked after 40 min on the grill
    Well, don't I feel like a neophyte?   Never thunk about microwaving them. Duh  L-). Will give that a try. Thanks for the obvious tip. 
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    No real creativity here.  I saw the raised grid with flowerpots in another post here, also the idea of using a Weber grid from HD as the second.  Tried to order a Woo2 this week but they are out of stock :(
    Rochester, NY