Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome temp or grate temp..

Options
My cooks are taking much longer than everyone on here said they should. I checked my dome gauge with boiling water and its right on the money. The thought then popped into my mind that maybe the temp the vast majority of you guys refer to is the grate temp. Is it an unspoken rule that everyone post grate temp instead of dome on this forum?

Comments

• Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Options
    I would bet that most posted temps are at the dome. That is all I use.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    As mentioned by @Springram-the convention is that when a temperature is posted it is the dome (which every BGE has) unless otherwise mentioned.  That said, if you are coming to the BGE from another type cooker/smoker-the dome to grid temperature off-set (when cooking indirect) can impact your cooks.  In most cases the dome will initially run 20-40*F hotter than the cooking surface so your cooks will take longer than in your prior life.  Factor that in and you will be fine-this has the biggest impact on the low&slow cooks.  The longer the dome is shut the less the difference.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I've had my egg for about four years now. I have never once measured grid temp. Dome only. Seems to be working.  :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Tbonez3858
    Tbonez3858 Posts: 102
    Options
    Hmmm...Interesting..Now I am back to wondering why all my cooks are so slow. 
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    It's a good rule to let everyone know if you're posting the dome or grate temp in the forums. Ie- "225* dome" vs "225* grate. "
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    I have not noticed a great deal of difference when I have measured both. It's either been close to the same or only a few degrees different
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!