Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

St. Louis Ribs

BBQJDUB
BBQJDUB Posts: 47
edited July 2013 in EggHead Forum
Hello Everyone,

Smoked some ribs over the weekend and they were great!  It was my first time trying ribs and I went with 3-2-1 Method. I had the temp around 220 during smoking.  Family was delayed so it was actually 3-2-FTC-30 but they turned out great.  I did not flip and sauce the bone side so they were on the edge of charring but it didn't affect the taste.  I wanted to see if you guys flipped and sauced the bone side for a few minutes?  I guess I should do the bone side prior to saucing the meat side?  Any input would be appreciated.  

Thanks,

BBQJDUB
BBQJDUB

Charlotte, NC

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Looks great. I do sauce but just stay bone side down. I like the ftc then finish... Great idea.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • BBQJDUB
    edited July 2013
    The finish was just by circumstance but I like it and will probably continue doing that in the future.  I want to try a brisket next....hope I'm ready for it!!!
    BBQJDUB

Charlotte, NC
  • Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    Did you do them direct or was that just at the end with saucing?
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • WalrusBBQ
    WalrusBBQ Posts: 153
    Those look incredible.

What rubs/sauces/wrap ingredients did you use?

I love ribs
    ------------
    Beers & BBQ

• BBQJDUB
    This was my first cook with any type of rib.  I smoked for 3 hours using hickory chunks.  I then foiled with apple juice and butter for 2 hours.  My family was running late so I foiled, towel, cooler (FTC) for about 45 mins until family got to my house.  During this time, I grilled the corn (in husk after soaking in ice water for 3 hours) and then peeled the corn and placed on grill to get some char.  I put the ribs back on (bone side down) and used Sweet Baby Rays BBQ Sauce.  I want to make my own rub/sauce but I wanted to use something that was consistent for my first few cooks.  
    BBQJDUB

Charlotte, NC
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    I do not even put any dry rub on the bone side anymore. I just put my St. Louis ribs on raised direct at 250* for 4.5 hours and let do not open the lid until then. No spritzing or saucing. Prefer to have sauce on the side. I use apple and cherry for smoking wood. The foil thing is just something I have never found necessary unless you are trying to get "fall off the bone" ribs. I prefer a little tug.

I do not like my ribs sweet, especially the kind all gooped up with honey and sugar, etc. I want to taste the pork and the smoke.

Everyone is different in what they prefer. That is why they have horse races.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • BBQJDUB
    Thanks for the advice Springram!  

I like the sweet stuff but since I've had the egg, I love the smoke flavor.  I will definitely give this a try.  Thanks for your input...it is appreciated!
    BBQJDUB

Charlotte, NC
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    @BBQJDUB - not being a saucer, although I am shaped like one, I would think if you put some Sweet Baby Rays on the ribs at the 4.5 hour mark and then go another 15 minutes, you could have ribs to your liking. Remember , my cooking times are for St. Louis cut ribs, not baby backs.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini