Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rookie Lessons Learned

College roommate/frat brother/friend got a BGE in June, so naturally I had to have one. Was delivered on July 6th. Always have had gas grills before, so learning something new every time I cook something. This forum has been terrific for picking up tips and tricks, even if some of it is contradictory. So, for the benefit of any other newbies or wannabe's that may be reading this, here are some quick lessons learned:

1) DO NOT WALK AWAY from the egg when you are firing it up. This thing can go NUCLEAR in five minutes. It is OK leave lid open for the first 7 to 10 minutes when staring up the coals, but STARE at the thermometer when you first close the lid. An adult beverage in hand is helpful during this process.
2) IT IS MUCH EASIER TO SET THE TEMPERATURE ON THE WAY UP, almost impossible to bring it back down again after any period of time. Refer back to rule #1. Make sure the temperature is stabilized, with platesetter, meat, whatever, in the egg before walking away. The temp will want to climb initially, so don't go far. I am still learning how to control temp, but so far have more success closing down the bottom vent than playing with the daisy wheel.
3) THE QUANTITY OF ACCESSORIES, (EGGCESSORIES... OR TOYS) THAT YOU WILL WANT IS BOUNDLESS. "Want" and "need" are the same thing. Everything is "bout a hundred." But that is OK, just be prepared. Buying your BGE is just the beginning.
4) THE BGE EXPERIENCE IS A CULT. A fun, harmless one, but a cult. A good thing.

Enough for now, thanks again everyone, enjoy!

Chris
Chris
Falls Church, VA
Large & Mini

Comments