Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Ribs with Maverick

Options
Did some Costco ribs this weekend using my new Maverick to monitor.  Started off getting my dome temp stable to about 250.  Then threw on some hickory and apple chunks and put in the platesetter with a drip pan with water in it.  Placed my grid back on with the ET-732.  Within about 20 min or so temp came back up to about 245 dome and grid was 225. The ribs were rubbed down with a homemade Memphis rub. 

Put the ribs on and kept the temp in the 225 to 235 range the entire cook.  Pretty impressed with the egg's ability to maintain temp.  Also like the Hi/Lo temp settings on the Maverick with the alarm function.  Very useful little device.  

After 3 hours I took a peak and they looked great.  At the 5 1/4 hour mark I did a toothpick test and they seemed pretty ready... Put on one good coat of Sweet Baby Ray's let them go for 45 more minutes.  

Ribs were fantastic.  Probably the best I have made.  Nice bark, great flavor and firmness.  Although, I was a little concerned that I really did not notice much pull back from the bone.  Normally do see that and was confused why this batch did not seem to pull back much if at all.  

Long Island, NY

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    The Maverick is a handy tool indeed. Glad to hear that you had such success with your ribs!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Here are some photos from the rib cook...

Rubbed and Ready...

Letting the egg settle in at 225 at the grid level...  Waiting for the white smoke to clear...

Getting locked into the right temp... DFMT closed with the vents wide open. 

Bottom vent open about 1/2 inch... would eventually close to about 1/4".

Temp at grid level steady at 226...

Ribs put on with a foil covered drip pan below with a little water in the bottom.

While the ribs cooked made some veggies on the gasser for snacks...

Here are the ribs after 3 hours (about 1/2 way home)... starting to look tasty already.

The maverick was so great to use for this.  Was able to monitor the grid temp and maintained between 225 - 235 for the entire time.  Can't wait to do a butt.  

Rich

Long Island, NY
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

The more you  use your Maverick, the more you will appreciate it.

I've never used mine as just a grid temp monitor; I looks like that is the only probe you have plugged in, right? 

It's good to know if it works with just one of the probes active, as I couldn't find anything addressing that in the user's booklet.

Great!

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I really did not give that much thought (single probe). I just wanted to get a feel for grid temp vs. dome temp and the Maverick was the perfect solution.  Also utilized the alarm feature to ensure I maintained a solid temp range.  Even though it did not go off other than when I opened the dome at the half way point to see how we were doing.
    Rich
    Long Island, NY
  • WalrusBBQ
    WalrusBBQ Posts: 153
    Options
    Great pictures and delicious looking food

Thanks for sharing
    ------------
    Beers & BBQ

• radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Options
    Thanks Walrus!  They were pretty tasty.  I am loving the EGG....
    Rich
    Long Island, NY
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I never thought of just using the grid probe for temp monitoring. Great idea instead of getting up to check it over a longer cook like ribs etc.