Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MY NEW EGG TABLE !!! --- 2ND time around

2»

Comments

• stripedegg
    stripedegg Posts: 87

Beautiful table! 

I'd not stain it, but it's all personal preference.  I almost never stain stuff I make.  I use recycled old cypress, so darkens up more than the new stuff with a sealant. 

One thing you can do, and I did this on the two tables I built, is soak the top in marine epoxy (this stuff) let it cure, sand, then put a couple coats of spar varnish, sanding between coats.  The epoxy soaks up into the wood and creates a super strong dent resistant surface (and water proofs it) and the spar varnish keeps the UV rays from yellowing the epoxy.  My cypress top is almost a year and a half old and it still looks new.

When ya building your dad's table ;)

How much marine epoxy do I need and where else other than Amazon can I buy it? Lowes? Home Depot?
    The Nest Whisperer
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited July 2013
    Lowe's and Home Despot don't sell it. Your best bet would be a marine supply company.  This isn't like the thick epoxy that you use for repairs...the chemistry is different - the viscosity is relatively thin and it soaks into wood like gangbusters.  It's the epoxy that is used to make wood and fiberglass boats.  I use it for any outdoor wood project.   Get the pumps so you can meter it out.  The set time is pretty long - 20 minutes or so depending on the temp.  Mix manageable batches and keep brushing it on until the wood is saturated.  The wood needs to be DRY.   Ideally you'd put some sealer on the underside - doesn't have to be epoxy - you just don't want uneven expansion from more moisture on one side of the wood than the other. 
    Probably a gallon would do it.  That link I think is a 1.5 gallon kit.  West Marine makes good stuff (same chemistry as the link I sent).  The sell it at Marine supply shops.

Probably a gallon would do it.  That link I think is a 1.5 gallon kit.  West Marine makes good stuff (same chemistry as the link I sent).  The sell it at Marine supply shops.

My butcher block is made of cedar 2x8's...jointed and then glued together. What do you mean about putting a sealer on the underside? As in the underside of the tabletop itself? I read some reviews on the product and they say it finishes hard and clear, almost like glass. I want that look. ???!
    The Nest Whisperer
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Yes, under the top you need some kind of sealer if you seal the top.  Same principal as properly installing cedar or redwood siding on a house - if you only seal the outside, it expands more on the inside and cups (warps).  Dimensional stability is stabilizing the moisture.  Just one coat of spar varnish would do it.

The epoxy finishes shiny - not a look I like.  However, it takes on the appearance of the top coat, and I use a satin or semi-gloss spar varnish - you never notice the epoxy...it's just there for longevity and surface hardness.

Here's my table - has the epoxy and a couple coats of spar.  You can also hit the finish with ultrafine steel wool and make it mat.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1140407/my-home-made-egg-table-pecky-cypress/p1
    You can go with a marine spar, don't need the epoxy.  But you'll need to re-coat more frequently and spar paint is very soft (designed to flex with wood expansion).   Poly will turn an ugly yellow with UV radiation - avoid.  I have a tendency to over-design everything - commercial grade quality.   With a counter top that big and nice, I think it would be worth the effort - you have the economy of scale.
    Looks like enough room for a dishwasher and a sink.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• Jwright11
    Jwright11 Posts: 35
    This guy is my neighbor and I saw a handyman company van parked in the driveway everyday. He couldn't build this table he doesn't even mow the lawn!!!!! Lol. Very nice table and I will be over to see he its out together to get mine like it.
  • gator_egger
    gator_egger Posts: 68
    edited July 2013
  • stripedegg
    stripedegg Posts: 87
    Jwright11 said:

This guy is my neighbor and I saw a handyman company van parked in the driveway everyday. He couldn't build this table he doesn't even mow the lawn!!!!! Lol.

Very nice table and I will be over to see he its out together to get mine like it.

That is just not right.
    The Nest Whisperer
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

that is awesome the only thing that would make it better is a granite top 

I'm a huge fan of granite but I really like the wood on this one. Like the cutting board.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Some has used your pictures to post a listing on eBay that they make custom egg tables. Just thought I'd let you know someone was using your great work.
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    If it were me, I'd seal it as it is. Great contrast. Beautiful top!
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • You can go with a marine spar, don't need the epoxy.  But you'll need to re-coat more frequently and spar paint is very soft (designed to flex with wood expansion).   Poly will turn an ugly yellow with UV radiation - avoid.  I have a tendency to over-design everything - commercial grade quality.   With a counter top that big and nice, I think it would be worth the effort - you have the economy of scale.

NOLAEGGHEAD......I called the local marine supply place and they basically told me I was an idiot and that the AreoMarine 300/21 Epoxy Resin could not be used with cedar.  I don't know what to do. 

The Nest Whisperer
  • Acorn
    Acorn Posts: 163
    That is a kickin' set up.........Nice work.
    Atlanta, GA  - LBGE -
  • thebaron
    thebaron Posts: 23
    I like the two tone look but it's a matter of taste I guess... Stain can look blotchy depending on the wood, etc
  • HDmstng
    HDmstng Posts: 192
    edited August 2013

Do you (OP) build and sell these tables?
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    How did you make those doors?  That is similar to what I want (No L shape) but the double cabinet side not the Egg side.  I dont want the Egg in my cart/table.

Garnerville, NY
  • HDmstng said:

HDmstng said:

</blockquote
    Yes I build and sell these tables. I have 3 models to choose from. The table that you are looking at, minus the right side, is the most requested. So basically you have the egg in the middle and storage on the right and left with doors
    The Nest Whisperer
  • HDmstng said:

HDmstng said:

</blockquote
    Yes I build and sell these tables. I have 3 models to choose from. The table that you are looking at, minus the right side, is the most requested. So basically you have the egg in the middle and storage on the right and left with doors

I can customize it however you want.

The Nest Whisperer
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    What kind of sealant did u use?
  • daffy1909 said:

What kind of sealant did u use?

Cabot Spar Varnish Semi-Gloss
    Interior / Exterior Marine Grade
    The Nest Whisperer
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    Thanks stripedegg!!!! :D
  • HDmstng said:

My cell is (859) 608-1530. Please call me and we can go over what you're looking for.

The Nest Whisperer