Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

swing rack

I bought a swing rack form Ceramic grill works a few months ago.  Love the thing due to the increased cooking capacity and the easy access to food on the bottom grate.  I find myself using the top grate more and more even on direct cooks.  Last night I went to load up the charcoal for some quick burgers and noticed the bottom grate is warped.  In several places it doesn't touch the fire ring at all.  Doesn't have any effect on how it performs but I was just wondering if anyone else has had that happen to them.  What may have caused it?  High heat cook?  The only time it is out of the Egg is when I take it out to load charcoal and to light it.  Then it is right back in the egg.

Thanks.

XL BGE

Comments

• jeroldharter
    jeroldharter Posts: 556
    I have the same item on my BGEXL. I think it is a no-no to apply high heat to the carbon steel. I did just that when I seared a cowboy ribeye, and now the bottom grate is warped badly. I am replacing it with the tiered system from ceramic grill store (it's in the mail). Apart from the warping at high heat issue, the swing rack was excellent. Nothing sticks to it, etc. but I need something that will withstand high temps too.
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    I have had mine for about 3 years. I haven't noticed any issues. I will have to check. Maybe turn the bottom grate upside down and heat it up, maybe it will even it out.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I had one, notice I said had.  I didn't care for it as I never seemed to be able to keep it seasoned to prevent rust.  Never noticed any warping, but I only cooked high temp with it a couple times and didn't like the thick unsightly grill marks it left.  I know a lot of people love them, I am just not one of them.  I like the group buy grill extenders and stainless grate combo MUCH better.  I'm not trying to bash the product, I'm just giving my honest review.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

I did get in on the group buy on the grid extenders and I sure am glad I did!

Neat piece of equipment, well made, and great to use.

Will get put to work on chicken thighs tonight.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    @SPRIGS-I have the two tier from CGW (around 2 years now) and no issues.  I would contact Franco at CGW and talk with him.  Has been very responsive in the past. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    I have had some rust issues on mine as well. I just keep oiling it up but invariably the rust comes back. I emailed Franco - haven't heard from him yet. I really don't think flipping it over and heating it up will help but I may just try it.

Thanks guys.
    XL BGE
  • smokeyj

BOWHUNR said:
    I had one, notice I said had.  I didn't care for it as I never seemed to be able to keep it seasoned to prevent rust.  Never noticed any warping, but I only cooked high temp with it a couple times and didn't like the thick unsightly grill marks it left.  I know a lot of people love them, I am just not one of them.  I like the group buy grill extenders and stainless grate combo MUCH better.  I'm not trying to bash the product, I'm just giving my honest review.

Mike
    I'm not sure how you had issues with rust. Mines been in my grill for three years and no rust. I use to oil before every use but I don't have to any more. Its so well seasoned.

Did you leave out of the grill on the table or something? Just trying to figure out how yours rust.

• jeroldharter
    jeroldharter Posts: 556
    SPRIGS said:
    I have had some rust issues on mine as well. I just keep oiling it up but invariably the rust comes back. I emailed Franco - haven't heard from him yet. I really don't think flipping it over and heating it up will help but I may just try it. Thanks guys.
    Post back if that works and I would try it too. I have had no issues with rust. It has been a great product for me except for the warping. It seasoned easy, non stick, easy to clean, well made, etc. Just the warping...
  • smokeyj
    SPRIGS said:
    I have had some rust issues on mine as well. I just keep oiling it up but invariably the rust comes back. I emailed Franco - haven't heard from him yet. I really don't think flipping it over and heating it up will help but I may just try it. Thanks guys.
    Post back if that works and I would try it too. I have had no issues with rust. It has been a great product for me except for the warping. It seasoned easy, non stick, easy to clean, well made, etc. Just the warping...

What are you oiling it with?
  • SPRIGS
    Vegetable oil. That is what he told me to use.
    XL BGE
  • CGW1
    CGW1 Posts: 332
    Hi everyone. I've been reading the posts here so I'm jumping in only to address some of the concerns, so please don't assume I'm promoting product. The rust issue as some have mentioned is indeed something that can be prevented simply by leaving the system as is after cooking. Should you be the type of individual that plays musical grates between CI, oem grate, and the 2 tier, if you leave the 2 tier exposed outside it will rust. The point of the 2 tier is to leave it in your egg at all times. The wrapping issue seems to be contained only to the XL size only...as far as I know. We are trying to correct that issue, however it only seems to happen at extremely high heat, above 600 degrees. Stay tuned for further developments as they occur. I'd like to thank everyone that has purchased the system and for continued feedback. If you've contacted me and I have not yet replied, please simply call me, I prefer a live conversation rather than just an email. Accessories are being looked into for the 2 tier to make it even more versatile. Franco
    Franco Ceramic Grillworks www.ceramicgrillworks.com
  • SPRIGS
    Thanks for posting up Franco. I do have an XL. As for the rust - since buying the swing rack I have only used it. It stays in the egg at all times except whn loading charcoal and lighting. I have done some high heat cooks at 600 or so (pizza, calzones) and lov e the top grate for getting the food high up in the dome. Have also done a few clean burns where it has gotten to 750 or so. Guess that must have caused the warping. Do you think flipping it over and getting it hot as some have suggested might flatten it a little? Thanks.
    XL BGE
  • Parallel
    Parallel Posts: 433
    edited July 2013
    My swing rack for my LBGE warped a bit as well... but it really doesn't affect anything so I'm not concerned.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
  • CGW1
    Sprigs, you paid good money for the 2 tier, let's talk tomorrow about getting that bottom grate replaced for you. We stand behind our product. No need to try experimenting with fixes, besides once the steel is wrapped I doubt it'll go back to flat. In reference to the rust, any chance you might be getting air or moisture in your cooker?? Is your gasket in good shape?? Mine lives in my cooker and I can go weeks in between cooks and I've never found any rust. Just thinking out loud here.
  • SPRIGS
    We can talk more tomorrow. Might be getting some moisture in there but don't think so. Gasket is still in good shape. The rust really isn't a big deal - I just oil her up and keep using it. I'm not that concerned about the warping. Doesn't effect how she works in any way. I was just curious if anyone had ideas how or why it happened. Appreciate your responses - great customer service right there Franco!
    XL BGE
  • CGW1
    Just wanna keep folks happy sprigs.  I really think the warping happened because the grate is a flat surface, there's so much surface area that the steel can't take very high heat.  We will get this figured out!!

Call me tomorrow.