Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How will this hold up?

Options
I'm looking at getting a stainless table to give me some prep area next to my egg. How well can I expect this type of stainless to hold up outdoors in full sun and in a very humid environment.
  • 18 Gauge T-430 stainless steel

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,466
    Options
    Should last just fine, although I think the stainless steel will get kinda hot if its in direct sun.

I need to explore eBay, if they make one half that length, I want it!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    I do not know the spec on my egg table but I have a SS top and I love it. Easy to maintain and huge 32 X 72.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    There's a restaurant supply store in the city that buys all liquidated equipment from closed restaurants etc.
    They have a warehouse full of stainless tables and such.  Gonna stop in and see what they have.  Ideally, a small table to roll around to and from the Egg to do prep work on would be perfect.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Have been using a lighter weight one from Sams on wheels for several years and works fine. Thinking $169
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Nice. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't buying some horrible knock off that would rust over the first year.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • RocEGG
    RocEGG Posts: 89
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    There's a restaurant supply store in the city that buys all liquidated equipment from closed restaurants etc.
    They have a warehouse full of stainless tables and such.  Gonna stop in and see what they have.  Ideally, a small table to roll around to and from the Egg to do prep work on would be perfect.
    +1. The restaurrant supply and used tables are where its at! I couldn't believe the size tables and carts they had for $50-100 in the local restaurant supply store. I kind of wish I had found it before I built my table. You might check there first before ordering. You might also find one that is all stainless?

That Ebay table looks great otherwise. Stainless is rust resistant not rust proof. I would expect it to start to rust at the welds first and maybe spot from there after a few years outside. My stainless weber gasser has a few very small surface rust spots here and there after 5 years outside on the deck.

The galvanized bottom shelf and legs would probably rust after a few years. You could always spray it down (legs and bottom shelf) with a clear rust preventer like rustoleum etc sells.

To combat the heat on the table in the sun you could always get a big wooden cutting board to use on top. would give you a cool place to chop things, put your drink down, etc.

Rochester, NY  - XL BGE
  • jeroldharter
    jeroldharter Posts: 556
    Options
    You might verify what material they use for the legs and the little leg post that touches the ground. Those might not be stainless and therefore prone to rust.

We have stainless in our kitchen and love it.