Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Serious Barbecue is the greatest cookbook ever.

Eggcelsior
Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
My copy arrived while I was at the lake. I haven't even read a word and this is why:

Comments

• sigh! Another trip to Barnes & Nobel.
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    That's some serious bad smoke. ;)
    It makes you wonder .. at what point in the book do they say, "Do you remember the catchy image we used to sell you this book? Gave you dreams of smoke all over? Yeah, your bbq should never .. ever .. look like that." 

• Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    So the pain of being an O's fan is getting in the way of your enjoyment of a good book?

Looks like they're trying to "smoke" with dry ice anyway, which AFAIK doesn't work too well.
    Mamaroneck
  • Eggcelsior

So the pain of being an O's fan is getting in the way of your enjoyment of a good book?

Looks like they're trying to "smoke" with dry ice anyway, which AFAIK doesn't work too well.

Being an O's fan has never been a pain. This is the land of pleasant living, after all.
  • Captpablo
    Captpablo Posts: 63

Just curious, why do you like this cookbook? I'm looking for something new to try just curious..

• Eggcelsior
    @Captpablo, Serious Barbecue is a very highly regarded cookbook by Adam Perry Lang. It went out of print shortly after release in 2009 and the used copies were going for between 150 and 400 dollars (for a $30 cookbook). It was just reissued and I was being silly since the very first page is a picture of a BGE. I thought people here would appreciate that humor.
  • It shoulda had a photo of a flashback. Fwumpf!
    Flint, Michigan
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    See what you mean... Amazon has first edition new for $120. Second edition is 31.49 with free shipping. Thanks, another cookbook for the collection. I like his BBQ 25.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053

Mine gets delivered today. I ended up ordering 4 copies cause friends wanted em.

• Captpablo
    Captpablo Posts: 63
    Eggcelsior, sounds like I should pick it up. These days anyone can make a cookbook!                        
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

I wish they had a kindle edition

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

I was going to wait for the paperback version, but I'm scared it might sell out again.  What the hey......I can write this off as an education expense, right?

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

You guys are crazy! Absolutely stupid crazzzzyy!!!

I just went ahead and bought it. 

:((

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• exspo
    exspo Posts: 51
    I jus ordered it from amazon. Was waiting for the 2nd edition to come out. Thanks for the heads up
  • TurtleCreek
    TurtleCreek Posts: 140
    edited July 2013
    TonyA said:
    It makes you wonder .. at what point in the book do they say, "Do you remember the catchy image we used to sell you this book? Gave you dreams of smoke all over? Yeah, your bbq should never .. ever .. look like that." 

@TonyA That's what mine looks like when cooking fresh made hamburger patties.  That's what that smoke looks like to me there.  Burger fat dripping on the hot fire causes that white smoke ... smells like heaven if you ask me.  
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Hmmmmmm

Just looked at Amazon, and all they are showing are first editions at ridiculous prices.

Maybe I'll try Barnes and Noble tomorrow.
    South SLO County
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    nice hat.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I read the first two pages and I'm buying it.  I'm holding you responsible @eggcelsior - better be life changing ;)
    I read the first two pages and I'm buying it.  I'm holding you responsible @eggcelsior - better be life changing ;)
    +1

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• billsme
    billsme Posts: 42

Hope its not bad form to link to another site, but thought some people might like to read this discussion about Adam's pop up restaurant this summer in CA.  Adam himself actually posts a couple of times in it.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166820

• GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701

If it doesn't change your life, it'll make for an awesome coffee table book... just like my Big Green Egg cookbook. You guys practically make any cookbook a moot point. Why don't you, Cen-Tex, Travis, Mickey and a few others start your own podcast or YouTube channel? Franklin has one for his offset. Would be great to see y'all demonstrate on the Egg.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    A cute little FedEx gal just delivered my copy.  I'm about 20 pages into it so far, and I'm pretty impressed.
    I have about 17 barbeque/grilling cookbooks, and most of them are written by guys who learned how to 'que from their dads; I can only think of one barbeque expert (Steve Raichlen) who's actually been formally trained in cooking, Lang is another one.
    He's a Yank from NYC who actually won a bunch of national competitions to discredit the naysayers who insist you need to be from the Q belt to properly cook 'que.  He does claim up front that "barbeque" refers to both grilling and low-and-slows, but then always uses the word "Grill" to talk about grilling, etc.   ;))
    I'm a "brine/rub" kind've guy, I rarely make a finishing sauce and never use glazes or injections; it sounds like he uses them all on most cooks, so that'll be something I can learn from him.
    Finally, I have to question his method to prevent a ceramic cooker "blowback".  He states to either "burp" the Egg, or close the bottom damper all the way before opening the Egg.  Most of us burp, but I would think closing the bottom damper would increase the chance of a blowback: you're cutting off the flow of oxygen, extinguishing any combustion, but the coals are still red hot and giving off their combustibles, they just aren't burning.  Then when you open the lid, fresh oxygen rushes in, mixes with the volatile fumes, and WHOOMPF!!  This sounds like an interesting experiment for one of you guys/gals to try, make sure to EweTube it!  
    :D

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Dang it @Eggcelsior ! When I wasn't looking, someone took my credit card and ordered the dang thing! Thanks alot! X(
    Flint, Michigan
  • horoegg
    horoegg Posts: 47
    edited August 2013