Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cowboy Gold Premium Lumps???

Anyone tried Cowboy Gold Premium Lumps?  I saw them at BJ's the other day, $24.99 for 28# bags.  I wasn't too impressed with Cowboy's regular lumps so I dismissed it.  And at that price point, there are many more options with excellent reviews from here & Naked Whiz site.  But, reading their product description got me interested.  Is it just marketing or a completely different product totally?

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    from the description on their site i get the impression its their old style lump made from flooring blocks, did you open the bag and look. when the housing industry went down they changered their lump to the branches of hardwood we see now in the regular bag
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    I agree fishlessman.  I loved the old Cowboy for certain things and miss it.
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    Just sent one of my subordinates off to BJs to see if they have it.  Tee hee.

The Naked Whiz
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    ..so old flooring blocks is a good thing and I should grab a bag to sample next time I'm there?

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    if thats what they are its very clean burning, you just have to get past the scrap lumber part
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • The Naked Whiz
    The lump is made from millwork scraps.  It isn't used flooring or used finished furniture.  It was very low ash, very easy to light, very mild smoke.  It was perfect for starting a fire that burns all the way across the top of the charcoal.  You could prepare a bed of charcoal then start a chimney of Cowboy.  Once it was roaring hot, you could then sprinkle the burning Cowboy across the top  of the charcoal bed to light it all.  This is perfect for something like paella where you want a uniform fire to provide even heat all the way across your pan.  The Cowboy tended to have some uniformity in the size of its pieces so no monster pieces to worry about.  It was also good for starting a fire when you have a bunch of used charcoal already in the cooker.  Pile up a small pile in the center, hit it with a MAPP torch or use a starter cube and the Cowboy would start lickety split and then spread to the rest of the charcoal. 
    The Naked Whiz
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Thanks, Whiz. I knew there had to be a reason you liked it.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.