Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick ribs

caliking
caliking Posts: 18,727
Nothing too fancy. Niece and nephew are in town and they love bbq, ribs are their favorite. 

Spares from Costco. Rubbed and egged at 325ish. They were done a lot quicker than I expected - less than 2 hrs. FTC until dinnertime. Egg was still hot, so I sauced 1 rack with Blues Hog and another with Cattlemen's tangy gold sauce (given to me by a colleague). Saved 2 racks for later. The crowd loved em. I liked the Cattlemen's sauce. I usually think BH is too sweet by itself, and will cut it with BH Red, but today it was actually okay. Salad and mac n cheese for sides, but sorry - too hungry for pics :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Looking good brudda! I really like that rub.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Jealous as all get out. I had a 8 year old birthday party today so no cooking today or tomorrow. Nice looking cook.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Ribs look great.  Love those Oakridge BBQ rubs.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Do you flip the ribs since they're standing up?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • caliking
    henapple said:
    Do you flip the ribs since they're standing up?
    No. I rotated the whole contraption 180° (front to back) because I usually get a hot spot towards the back (hinge side). Other than that, no flipping or anything. I can't say that they were any different than ribs which I have cooked laying flat in the past. Rub did not drip off or anything.

Next time, I will try to lay 2 racks of STL cut ribs on top of the rib stand, so I can cook a total of 6 racks at one time. The racks on top may cook a little faster since they will be higher up in the dome.

• TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    I can't believe they cooked so quick.. they look great though.. Lean the other two racks on the sides? might have to take a rib off each .. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @Caliking.. 2 hr cook, 1 scotch?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    sounds about right. I cook them at 350 for 100 min's all the time. yours look good man
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• caliking
    @henapple : under 2hrs... hence only 1 scotch. Got the second one while they were in the cooler. :) Oban 18 (love Islay single malts).

Felt pretty smug, because for once I had dinner done ahead of schedule!

• caliking
    @TonyA - I was thinking of just draping them across the top of the rib stand. May even be able to fit 3 on top.