Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How can I cook 3 to 4 Pork Butts on Large with Adjustabe Rig

Options
robnybbq
robnybbq Posts: 1,911
I can not figure this out.

How can I fit 3 -4 pork shoulders/butts on the egg with the adjustable rig/oval stone setup? On the top of the AR I have he stock grate and 2 8 lb shoulders barely fit. On he bottom level is the stone and one notch up is the drip pan. Even I did not have the drip pan on level 1 and placed it on the stone and put the oval grate on the lowest setting that only gives about 3 inches to the top grate. Am I getting the wrong cuts of meat?

Can I see pics.  The pics I have seen on searches do not show me enough detail.

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• robnybbq
    Options
    Actually I just found some more pics.  I have to use the Spider and the 13 in stone instead of the oval stone. 

My question is will this make the Egg a mess with drippings that are not over the drip pan?  Flare ups?

Garnerville, NY
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,748
    Options
    you dont need the heatmass for a low and slow, get rid of the stone. you can also hang the pan under the rack if you need more room. i have not done a cook that big since getting a rig but when i have done multiple butt and brisket cooks i found the boneless butts to be easier to deal with as i could push them to shape to fit better. dont worry about them touching as the shrink when they cook
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    as long as the lid is closed the etc will not have flare ups. Any fat that drips over will be burned or sweat out.
  • javabreath
    Options
    Hi:
    I set the pizza stone on the spider then feet or some other spacer drip pan then a full size grate, adjustable rig, two butts (up to 9# ea.) then another full size grate and two more butts.

You'll have to pull out the thermometer so the stem is out of the way.

I think the pizza stone (heat sink) helps even out temperature fluctuation.

Good Luck!
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    robnybbq said:
    Actually I just found some more pics.  I have to use the Spider and the 13 in stone instead of the oval stone. 

My question is will this make the Egg a mess with drippings that are not over the drip pan?  Flare ups?
    I just used this setup for 2 briskets, works great. I put a 99 cent rectangular aluminum drip pan on the 13" spider/stone and caught most of the drippings. One thing I did and was a little proud of - I rolled up 2 strips of aluminum foil about 7 inches long and 1/4 inch thick.  Put these on the stone, and rested the drip pan on them.  Sometimes my drip pan oil can smoke and ruin the flavor of my cook (especially spatchcock chicken, low and slow brisket my drip pan probably won't smoke).

Good luck!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • robnybbq
    Options
    Now the question is will boneless butts be good enough?  I have always done bone in shoulders.  I found boneless 8 lb'ers locally and will get 4 of them.  Planning on injecting so I dont know if no-bone will make a difference.  I may not know when they are done since the bone wont fall out though - my usual method for telling when the pork is ready to be removed for FTC.

Garnerville, NY
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options

Bone-less will work fine-you may want to tie them to get some uniform shape-depends on what's left after bone extraction.  Regarding the finish-line just use the thermo-if planning to FTC-go to the mid 190's-no FTC you can go to around 200*F or so. 

And an injection tip (not original)-wrap the butt in a clear wrap and inject thru the wrap-stray shots are contained and makes clean-up easy.  Enjoy the cook!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • robnybbq
    Options
    Thanks - Sounds like a plan. 

Garnerville, NY