Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

no sauce? quick pizza question - using mellow mushroom dough

Options
NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
I am grabbing stuff for pizza night in next 30 mins or so, and thinking about going no sauce?  I thought I read some postings that suggested this.  My quick question is . . . should I use a tomato paste, diced tomato, crushed tomato, etc as a base instead?  OR should I just skip the "red" base and use sliced roma tomatoes on the top?  THANKS!

FYI, here is my dough and flavor profile I am going with:
  1. Dough purchased from MELLOW MUSHROOM (has somewhat sweet taste - some say they use molasses in dough?)
  2. Italian Sausage (smoked on egg earlier)
  3. Pepperoni 
  4. Raw Veggies & Herbs - white onion / green pepper / fresh basil

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• williamadamsesq
    Options
    We only use crushed tomatoes. Makes the best margherita pizza
  • NDG
    Options
    k got jar of crushed San Marzanos - pics later.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NDG
    Options
    the low and slow smoked italian sausage was unreal and dough has excellent chew.  Next time I will not make the crust ring so thick, but the dough is so good you end up eating it later by dipping it in the leftover crushed tomatoes.

Columbus, OH

• NDG
    Options
    Columbus, OH

• Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Options
    @NDG - Mellow Mushroom sells their dough? I am 5 minutes from one of their locations. Love the pizza.  

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • NDG
    Options
    The location here in Columbus does, not cheap at $4.00 a dough ball.  
    Columbus, OH

• Springram
    Options
    Thanks - @NDG.   $4.00 a ball is not bad. Just the wife and I so one dough ball is all we need. 

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • CigarSmokinEgger
    Options
    There are clones of their dough that have been nailed at pizzamaking.com if you want to make your own :)
  • Springram
    Options
    @CigarSmokinEgger -  we make our own dough but for $4 and for a dough that I really like, I am off to Mellow Mushroom. Plus, it is amazing how lazy I can be at times. Thanks for the tip.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    NDG that looks great. I'm close to Newark/Thornville. Are there multiple mellow mushrooms?
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • reaperjr18
    reaperjr18 Posts: 13
    Options

I used to get Publix Pizza dough until we tried the Mellow Mushroom dough. It is pretty good stuff. I always feel it is much easier to work with than the Publix dough and tastes much better. We're the same as Springram in that it is only the wife and I. We are in Jacksonville Beach, FL and there are a couple around the area.

We have a couple other local pizza places that sell their own dough, and I still prefer Mellow Mushroom.