Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt-n- Ribs cook question?

Options
So my wife and I want to have a egg party in a few weeks for about a dozen or so people and I am going to cook two 7.5lb butts and four racks of ribs.I Don't want to ruin my first cook for some friends so about how long to cook the  two butts at 250-275?? Would like to cook both butts and ribs at the same time if i could? How should I handle this? Not really wanting to do an overnighter.

thanks.
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• Dragonwmatches
    Options
    I just did 3 7lb butts overnight - low and slow until I woke up, the turned the heat up a bit to finish. FTC'd for several hours kept it plenty hot to be fresh when time to pull to ea, and this gave me plenty of time to do some baby backs and get done at time to eat. Given that I don't have multiple grids I can only do so much at any one time. But despite the inclusion of an overnight cook, this was easily my least stressful large gathering.
    It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Options
    I have done this before and I turbo cooked my butts first, then FTC the butts.  Then turbo cooked my ribs ( 2 hours) and served them all together.  Everyone must have enjoyed it since they took anything that was left home with them.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    What size egg do you have? If a large, then you'll probably need to use a vertical rack for the ribs. That might make it hard to add a second level to accommodate the butts.

You can easily FTC your butts for the time it takes to cook your ribs. You'll just have to decide how you want to do the butts (i.e. turbo vs. low and slow) and have them finish accordingly. 
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I have done this before and I turbo cooked my butts first, then FTC the butts.  Then turbo cooked my ribs ( 2 hours) and served them all together.  Everyone must have enjoyed it since they took anything that was left home with them.

For my 2 cents. I agree with Dave on this. I love to FTC my butts a minium of 1 hour so if they get done 2 or 3 hours before trust me they will only be better. I say Turbo away you will not regret it. On my LBGE I did two 9 pound butts in 6.5 hours. I could have done them in 6 easy. I tried to get more smoke for the first phase of the cook.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    I have a large egg with adj rig with extender.Still debating the turbo or low and slow???

About how long per pound when doing 250-275 low and slow for the butts??
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I do all my cooks low and slow.  I would account for 1.25 to 1.5 hours a pound on the butts.  I always go about 5 hours on my babyback ribs.  I don't cook my ribs to time or temp, only when they pass the bend test. 
    I would cook the butts low and slow, then when they hit the stall, put the ribs on.  You should push through and finish the butts in two hours or so.  Then FTC them for a couple of hours until the ribs are finished.
    Just my $0.02.  If I were doing this cook, that's how I would do it.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio