Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

5 lb boneless prime rib?

I bought a 5 lb boneless prime rib I plan to do on the egg this evening. I've read several suggestions on here but was curious how you set the egg up(plate setter temp etc) and what you rub the meat with. Was thinking salt pepper and maybe some dizzy pit cow lick. Any help is appreciated!

Comments

• I do mine platesetter legs up temp about 275 til internal temp about 120. Then take roast off and remove plate setter and crank heat WAY up. Then sear both sides bout a minute and half each. Let it rest bout 20 minutes. Always turns out great.

Little Rock, AR

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Liberally salt the meat with course Kosher salt.  Let rest at RT for 1 hour.  Before putting the meat on the egg remove all excess salt and pat the meat dry.  
    Place plate setter legs up with drip pan on PS (stand drip pan proud of the PS if going to use the use the drippings, otherwise a layer of table salt in the drip pan to prevent early drippings from burning...NOTE the salt with render the dripping non edible.  ). 
    Low and slow 250-275ish  till IT reads 120-125ish.  
    Remove PS, wrap meat in foil.  
    Crank up egg to 600+.   
    Place a small grate on the coals the add your meat and sear on all sides.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • jeroldharter
    jeroldharter Posts: 556
    My advice on the reverse sear is to grill indirect at low temp as the others suggested, but only to 105 (not 120). Someone gave me that advice and 105 seemed way too low, but I tried it and it worked perfectly. Tent the 105 prime rib in foil while you are waiting for the grill to get hot for the sear. Return the meat to the grill to sear on all side. Since it is a cylinder, that takes a good 5 minutes. It continues to cook while resting 10-15 min before carving. Comes out a perfect medium rare.
  • My advice on the reverse sear is to grill indirect at low temp as the others suggested, but only to 105 (not 120).

Someone gave me that advice and 105 seemed way too low, but I tried it and it worked perfectly.

Tent the 105 prime rib in foil while you are waiting for the grill to get hot for the sear.

Return the meat to the grill to sear on all side. Since it is a cylinder, that takes a good 5 minutes. It continues to cook while resting 10-15 min before carving. Comes out a perfect medium rare.

Ive got a few folks in the family that likes theirs a little more done. If i take it to 120 and then sear it off i get a few end pieces a little more done and the thicker pieces in the center are perfect medium rare for me.

Little Rock, AR

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,829

Someone gave me that advice and 105 seemed way too low, but I tried it and it worked perfectly.

I'm glad someone is listening to me. Up til now I thought I was just a prophet mumbling to myself while wandering through the cyber wilderness ;)

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• AUWAG
    AUWAG Posts: 73
    Thanks for all the help! Turned out great. Liberal amount of salt and pepper and added some raising the steaks DP. Cooked at 275 for 2 hours. Pulled at 115, rested, then seared at 500 on all sides. Had several children eating so the more well done pieces were needed. Will definitely do this again!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,829
    That looks perfect to me. But in my house, how it looks to me is a secondary concern. My wife would consider that overcooked. That's why I pull it at 105 if I'm going to sear it.... And SWMBO is home... Or I just pull it at 115-118.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn said:
    That looks perfect to me. But in my house, how it looks to me is a secondary concern. My wife would consider that overcooked. That's why I pull it at 105 if I'm going to sear it.... And SWMBO is home... Or I just pull it at 115-118.

+1 for me but that's just preference. Looks great. That looks like a nice quality slab also.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    I made a 10# last Christmas and used this rub called Mrs. O'Leary's Cow Crust. Turned out fantastic! Haven't done one since but I will use the recipe again for sure. I got the recipe from amazingribs.com. Just google Mrs. O'Leary's Cow Crust. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Guys I am planning on cooking a 5 lbs prime rib too... What does "added some raising the steaks DP" mean?  Also was this cooked on dirct heat or with the stone heat defelctor?  Thanks.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    It's a Dizzy Pig rub product.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    edited December 2013
    I do mine 1st I rub EVOO then with salt &Pepper& fresh chopped garlic I then sear at 500 degrees for about 2 1/2 minutes a side on all 4 sides then rest until egg has cooled to 350 with plate setter in legs up until meat temp of 125 then wrap in tin foil rest for 15 minutes then serve and it comes out awesome image
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    For my taste, @AUWAG, yours looks really good, but @charlesmaneri, yours looks perfect to me in terms of doneness.  I read somewhere to have a pan of simmering broth, and use that to further cook for those that do not like medium rare.  Have not done it, but I plan to when I do Prime rib. May be a Christmas cook.  Planning on a reverse sear though.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY