Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Vodka marinated Flat Iron Steak

TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
I've done wine marinated steak before with good results.  Decided to try something different tonight.  Marinated a Flat Iron Steak for 6 hours in a mix of:
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup vodka
1 Tablespoon each - fresh ground pepper, chopped parsley, garlic
1 Teaspoon each - salt, Thyme, 

Grilled direct at 425 to IT 140.  Turned out great, and the family loved it.  Served with some fresh watermelon and a baked potato.

Comments

• Black_BadgerBlack_Badger Posts: 914
    That's actually a really interesting idea. Many if not most of the flavorful compounds are fat soluble, but others, including many of the colorful ones in natural pigments are alcohol soluble. Did you leave a lot of the marinade on the surface during the cook, or shake/wipe out of before hand?

Great looking cook either way. 

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
    ·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 6,637
    That's looks awesome! Titos?
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    @hapster Tito's was the only thing in the house, so yep. 1/2 cup for the marinade, 1/2 cup for the cook. @Black_Badger. I pulled it out of the marinade bag and let it drip for a few seconds then threw it on. Between the oil and alcohol, it flared up real nice for a sear
  • HotwingkingHotwingking Posts: 183
    Sound tasty and looks great, shoulda soaked that watermelon in vodka :D
    ·
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,314
    Nicely done.  I have been marinating  my skirt steak in vodka (no tequila).  At first I didn't like the vodka taste...seemed a little sweet but subsequent cooks have convinced me that the vodka tastes better than the tequila.  Other half like them either way...easy to please.
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·