Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse Seared Rib Eyes - Pics

Hello All,
Did something new today, reverse seared a couple of nice thick rib eyes. We don't have steaks all that often, so this was a treat. I bought these for a sous vide I'm building, but ended up not cooking them when planned (hit a little stall w/ SV, but coming along pretty well). They've been vac sealed and wet aging in the fridge for a couple of weeks while I've been out of the country for work. Decided to pull the trigger today...

Had very limited lump on hand, so needed to try to work smart. Set up for raised, indirect by piling lump into the back of the box and lighting it with one big hunk of hickory. I had the woo in, then the grid, then the AR, then the smaller grid up top. Stabilized at 400 then threw the steaks on , but not directly over the lump.

Had no idea how long they'd take to get to 130-135, so I decided to check every six minutes. Ended up needing 18 min for one (probably could have pulled at about 16, and 22 min for the other. Once they were off and resting I pulled of the DFMT and opened the bottom all the way up. Took off the AR and the standard grid and put the other grill down on the woo just above the coals. Let the steaks rest for 10 min while the temp was ramping up (not sure if this rest needs to be that long).

After 10 min rest threw steaks on for the post cook sear. Egg was at 650ish when I started, but I left the lid open for the whole sear process. Seared 30 sec then turned 90 degrees for another 30 sec, then the same on the other side. THis gave me a nice crosshatching, but may have been slightly too much searing time.

Pulled steaks again and rested for 10 more min. In the mean time whipped up some mushrooms and garlic sauteed in butter as a topping. Sliced the rib eyes and topped, then dug in.

Had two different preps, one a Trader Joes Teriyaki w/ sesame, the other salt, pepper and garlic salt. The terriyaki one was very good, but the S&P was REALLY good! When paired with the mushrooms the S&P steak was EXCELLENT! Better than the vast majority of restaurant steaks I've ever had; honestly I would not have been ashamed to ask someone to pay for it. My two year old couldn't get enough, so proud. Needed some brussel sprouts or green beans on the side to be a really perfect meal, but I'll know better for next time.

Some pics below, let me know if you have any questions. This was a good one! If anything I may shorten the rest between cook and sear, and maybe shorten sear time very slightly. Alternatively, I might pull off the cook phase just a bit earlier. These were done nicely, but could have been a tiny bit more rare.

Cheers all -
B_B
Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI

Comments