Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Time Injecting Boston Butt

Chris_Wang
Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
edited July 2013 in EggHead Forum
I was getting some wood chips from my dealer (The Fireplace Place in Stockbridge, GA) and Devlin (the sales manager) told me to try injecting the shoulder with John Henry's Pecan Marinade. So I took him up on it and have that going on the inside with BB's on the outside.

I have never injected any meat before, so I cannot wait for dinner tonight to see how the pulled pork comes out.

I threw this ten pounder on the egg a few hours ago with pecan chips and a little apple juice in the drip pan.

Here's a pic while I was in the middle of rubbing her down...

Wish the Falcons were playing...

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

Comments

• Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Sounds like a plan...let us know what you think about the finished product. FYI...saw a post where a butt that was injected took a little longer to cook because of the added fluid. Got some Tony Chachere's (sp) Cajun Butter as a gift that I'm gonna try on my next butt.

Hope the Dolphins learn how to win again !!!!!

Opelika, Alabama
  • Chris_Wang
    edited July 2013
    @buckdodger My step mom is a huge Dolphins fan.

Here's where I'm at after 4 1/2 hours.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• BobsBGE
    BobsBGE Posts: 99
    I was getting some wood chips from my dealer (The Fireplace Place in Stockbridge, GA) and Devlin (the sales manager) told me to try injecting the shoulder with John Henry's Pecan Marinade. So I took him up on it and have that going on the inside with BB's on the outside. image I have never injected any meat before, so I cannot wait for dinner tonight to see how the pulled pork comes out. I threw this ten pounder on the egg a few hours ago with pecan chips and a little apple juice in the drip pan. Here's a pic while I was in the middle of rubbing her down... image Wish the Falcons were playing...
    Preseason starts soon but I'm with you on the Falcons.  Let us know how that marinade turns out.  I haven't seen it at any of the stores I frequent but Stockbridge isn't to far from me so I may go get some if it turns out great.
    Fayetteville, Ga
  • Chris_Wang
    edited July 2013
    @BobsBGE Tough schedule this season, but I think the Falcons will still win the division. Sorry @nolaegghead.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Chris_Wang
    IT is at 178, hopefully the stall is over. I'm getting hungry... Just spritzed some more AJ, patiently waiting.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I am a huge fan of John Henry rubs. I probably have 10-15. Their hot sauce is great too. Let us know about the injection.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    I'm with you @Hi54putty, love their stuff. Very curious to hear how this turns out...
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Hi54putty said:
    I am a huge fan of John Henry rubs. I probably have 10-15. Their hot sauce is great too. Let us know about the injection.
    I live about 20 minutes from the headquarters of John Henry......ha ha ha ha ha ha  :<)

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Well?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Rezegger
    Rezegger Posts: 29
    Sorry Chris. We know the Falcons will finish in 2nd place in the division. Who Dat!
  • Chris_Wang
    edited July 2013
    Sorry for the delay! Didn't get on the forum last night due to the INCREDIBLE dinner, poolside hangout, and watching the Braves sweep the Cards.

The JH marinade was delicious! I will definitely be rotating their selection, and I highly recommend it for those of you who choose to inject.

Here is the finished product. I chose not to wrap it in foil (unlike the Franklin BBQ vids). Since I was keeping the grid temp at 225 (the dome stayed a tick shy of 250), I didn't think foiling was going to be necessary. I did however spritz her with Apple Juice every 4 hours (3 times), and then again as she came off the egg and into the cooler.

Here's the 10lb shoulder after 13 1/2 hours at a low temp. I took the drip pan out after the last apple juice spritz because I didn't want the butt to have a burned taste.

I pulled her from my MBGE at 195 IT.

As for the injection, I injected 2/3 of the JH bottle into the shoulder and saved the other 1/3 to pour over her into FTC.

After about 75 minutes of FTC time, we pulled her off and had some of the best pulled pork. The blade bone cleanly slid right out.

I used Original Sweet Baby Rays and Williamson Bros (Carolina style) sauces on the table. I wanted to have a choice. Both sauces went great with the pork.

It was a great journey, and I already can't wait for the next...

Chris
    Locust Grove, GA

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Bravo. I was disappointed with the flavor of my last one. I will be trying this for sure
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Chris_Wang
    @grege345 It was recommended to me, and I see why. I will be surprised if you don't like the pecan marinade and pecan wood combo.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Chris_Wang
    @Rezegger The only way the Saints will win the division is if the Falcons can't make it through their tough Nov/Dec schedule. I think the Falcons will win 9/10 games, and the Saints will win 8/9 games. It'll be a good season. I like the NFC South schedule.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Chris_Wang
    edited July 2013
    @Buckdoger I don't think it took any longer than usual. 13 1/2 hours at 250 dome to get to 195 IT.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Chris_Wang
    @BobsBGE @Hi54putty @Black_Badger Marinade was fantastic. I will definitely be trying the other JH stuff.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Chris_Wang
    @Springram We love living in Metro-Atlanta, but SWMBO and I have always wanted to live in Texas. We would probably choose Austin or Dallas over Houston.

We've been to Houston a few times. Do you know where Champion Forest Baptist Church? We have a lot of friends who go there.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    I just liked a Falcons fan's post.. I feel like I need to go take a shower..  :-&

>:)
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • Chris_Wang
    @bccomstock It could be worse...
    We could be Auburn fans.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

Here is my go-to sauce for pulled pork.  A home-made Eastern North Carolina sauce recipe I stumbled across somewhere.

2 Cups apple cider vinegar

2 TBS Molasses

1 TBS Dry Mustard

1/2 C Butter

1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper

1 TBS Worcestershire Sauce

1/2 C Brown Sugar

1/2 tsp Black Pepper

Stir all ingredients into a saucepan over medium heat.   Cook,stirring until  sugar is dissolved.

Don't boil.

This stuff really brings pulled pork to life! 

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    @bccomstock It could be worse... We could be Auburn fans.
    Good point.. That's true.
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • Chris_Wang
    @jdub58 Thanks for sharing! That sounds really good. SWMBO typically goes for the sweet sauce, but I love a good vinegar sauce. I will definitely try this in the future.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    @Chris_Wang - we are only 5 minutes from Champion Forest Baptist Church. 

I prefer Dallas myself having grown up there and attending SMU for undergraduate school. 

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • @jaydub58, how does the sauce turn out after its been placed in the refridgerator? Does the butter turn solid?
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited July 2013
    The butt looks like it turned out great Chris.  Have you ever tried Fresh Air BBQ in Jackson?  My in laws are from down in Jackson and they bring me a gallon jug of the sauce.  It is just a simple vinegar/ketchup but it is a 75 year old recipe so they are doing something right!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Chris_Wang
    @BigGreenBamaGriller sorry if you got an "off topic" notification. My iPhone screen was still loading when I went to reply to SmokeyPit, and it jumped to where my thumb landed on that button for you. My apologies. I'm interested in the answer to your question as well.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Chris_Wang
    edited July 2013
    @SmokeyPitt Yes, it's only a 20 minute drive to Fresh Air from my State Farm office, so we go every now and then. We would probably go more than that if Pippens BBQ wasn't just a 5 minutes drive! Pippens is just as good as Fresh Air. That's some good in-laws ya got there!

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I have never injected a butt and am a big fan of Stubbs Original. I need to try the marinade next time. Thanks. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Chris_Wang
    @JRWhitee Yeah, obviously it's not a necessity, but I am looking forward to playing around with different flavor combos.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

@BigGreenBamaGriller, yes it does solidify.

I put in a plastic squeeze bottle to use it, and I just put that in a pan of water on the stove top to heat it up.  Works good.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon