Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Jack Daniels Oak chips

I have been unable to find Oak for smoking in my area.  Anybody ever used the Jack Daniels oak chips?  Wondering if anyone has used these for tri tip or brisket?
·

Comments

• danv23danv23 Posts: 464

The Dude: Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Walter Sobchak: [shouting] Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!

Cumming, GA
    ·
  • brianwdmnbrianwdmn Posts: 359
    I've used them for steak and wings, not brisket.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    Used them on steak with excellent results.
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,253
    they will be fine for brisket.  its white oak that is soaked with whiskey what could be bad?  the flavor profile is right for beef.
    ·
  • SmyrnaGASmyrnaGA Posts: 214

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

·
  • yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
    I noticed today and GFS market place that they sell pretty big bags of oak for $15. Not sure if you have any by you, but I would've never thought to check there for oak.
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,134
    Be sure and keep the bag sealed tight.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • Z_EggineerZ_Eggineer Posts: 564
    They are great.  Just wish they had chunks or planks.
    ·
  • SmyrnaGASmyrnaGA Posts: 214
    @Z_Eggineer
    They DO have chunks, only it's called "blocks".  I've used them while doing steak & chicken and the smell is intoxicating.  :)  I haven't tried a whole barrel stave, but, it's probably really good to.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

·
  • I use Jack Daniels chips all the time, I think they work great. A friend of mines 2 young boys like to chew on them, they say the chips taste good. :D
    ·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,584
    My buddy was going to Tennessee for business and I told him to get me some Jack Daniels barrel oak if he saw any. Long story short, he ate lunch at Barrel House BBQ in Lynchburg, and the owner, Chuck Baker who was on BBQ Pitmasters this season, gave him a tour and so he asked where he could get some Jack Daniels Oak, Chuck gave him a box full of an Oak barrel for free. I cut it up into chunks and it should last me a year or so.

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·
  • FlyingTivoFlyingTivo Posts: 329
    They are great on Brisket!!!

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
    ·
  • daffy1909daffy1909 Posts: 452
    JRWhitee said:

My buddy was going to Tennessee for business and I told him to get me some Jack Daniels barrel oak if he saw any. Long story short, he ate lunch at Barrel House BBQ in Lynchburg, and the owner, Chuck Baker who was on BBQ Pitmasters this season, gave him a tour and so he asked where he could get some Jack Daniels Oak, Chuck gave him a box full of an Oak barrel for free. I cut it up into chunks and it should last me a year or so.

SHARE??? Great score!!!!
    ·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,584
    I will be using them at the Eggfest for sure.

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·
  • LitLit Posts: 3,537
    A buddy of mine buys the half whiskey barrels that are supposed to be decoration at home depot and cuts them up and they work well. I'm personally not a fan of chips you have to make sure your fire is stabilized before you add them or you have to bring it to temp really slow or they will burn off before you get your food on. Chunks are much better.
    ·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,253
    I use Jack Daniels chips all the time, I think they work great. A friend of mines 2 young boys like to chew on them, they say the chips taste good. :D
    those sound like some kids I could kick it with.  they have a bright future ahead of them in my book.
    ·