Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Brisket - 4-1/2 hours to FTC

Options
I've watched too many competition cooks so wanted to get away from that modus operandi with a brisket turbo cook just to see with mine own eyes.

Decided over breakfast yesterday that we HAD to cook a brisket for dinner. Stoked up the LBGE to 250F and ran up to Wal-Mart and obtained a 12 lb choice packer. Brought it home, unwrapped and trimmed it, threw on some S & P and tossed it into the Egg at 10:30 a.m. About 11:30 a.m. removed the controller and went open loop to 300F on grate temp. At 1:30 pm internal temps were in the low 170F's so foiled it. Checked it at 3:00 pm and the point was at 205F so off she came. Let 'er breathe for a few minutes and FTCed. Yanked it out of the cooler at 6:00 pm and she was still 160F IT. Let it rest for half hour or so and dug into it. So, 4-1/2 hours to FTC. FTCed another 4-1/2 hrs but would have been happy with 1-2 hrs. The whole idea was to see what kind of brisket we would get 'turbo'.

I don't know if it would win anything in a competion. Smoke ring was not large. Flavor and tenderness were, though. And no overnight 22 hr cook. For backyard BBQ this was awesome and gives me another 'short notice' option to add to my 'fleet'. 

Comments

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Here it is pre-foil. There isn't enough left for another photo!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    That's VERY useful information. Thanks for posting it. Your results sound very similar to mine on the one I did 2 nights ago - but it got done a lot sooner than I thought it would - 8 hours 45 minutes for a 14 pound packer with a grid temp between 240 and 260. Travis and/or Centex, how long does it take you guys to cook one at 275 - 280? I'm pretty sure I don't need to do an overnight cook if I can start early and cook at 280, with the option of cranking it up to 300 and/or foiling if it seems to be progressing too slowly...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    I think when you foiled it and put it back on the Egg, that reduces or eliminates the stall.  
    Glad to hear it worked!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• SteveWPBFL
    Options
    Myron Mixon talks about doing (Wyugu) brisket on BBQ Pitmasters all the time between 300-325F for 4-5 hrs. and he's won a few times on there using that technique. 
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    I just remembered. I went to Home Depot during the last hour and the Egg had creeped up to 360F upon my return but that could not have been for more than about 45 minutes and for not all of the 45 minutes so maybe if there was any stall left I powered through that as well.
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Options
    I had the same impulse, thawed a 6# flat last night. 275 dome for 2 hrs then foiled at 350. Rubbed w mustard and home made rub. Pulled a bit late at 208IT (out getting school supplies for three kids) then into the cooler. Total cook 4.5 hrs. Bare minimum bark but great flavor and very moist.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    So, the day after. BRISKET SLIDERS! Nothing but slow-miced brisket to heat it back up on a slider bun with nothing but some horseradish and an IPA to chase ..... heaven!