Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I am up to no good.

Options
Aviator
Aviator Posts: 1,757
edited July 2013 in EggHead Forum
Workin on it. Chikin is involved, some shine and some red coloring, ginga and garlic. The back bone done got trashed. .... Pics and the "story" are a commin.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I am up past my bedtime waiting for this :!!
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Well.... What was the result??? Or did the shine get to ya? :D

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @Aviator... Up to no good? I thought that was a given.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Aviator
    Options

Well the shine did get to me, more than I imagined it would. Overall it was a worthwhile experiment from my test kitchen.

The objective was to do a "whole" chicken Tandoori on the BGE.

After careful considerations and discussions with the tandoor guru @caliking as well, unless I went with my impromptu flower pot Tandoor set up on the Large to accommodate the chicken, doing it whole as is would not work. The other was to skewer it and rotisserie it across the egg with the lid open. I was afraid the inside mat not be done. This may yet be another project for the test kitchen.

Anyway, bought 2 pack of young chicken from Costco. The sexier chick was chosen, and skinned. Then I spatchcocked it.

The rub/marinade was a concoction of "doctored" Shaan masala, fresh ground G & G with green chillies, added some yogurt and red color. Rubbed the chicken all over with it and let it sit 2 hours. Then on the egg at 450*F dome, till it got done by IT. Had to turn it once as the top side was not getting the color and not going as dry as I wanted it to.

Came out outstanding. I have NEVER eaten a more moist and flavorful Tandoori chicken ANYWHERE.  Seriously awesome.

Just got in the egg with the cut out back neck and other odds for my Louie who couldn't wait.

Here is the shot just before I took it out. Ate it with white rice.

As I said, this is from the test kitchen and needs some more polish and perfection, but suggestions are welcome. It did turn out nice and hot for us which means few in this world will eat it. So that's got to come down. I need it to get dark in color as well.

Chattanooga, TN.

• RV10Flyer
    RV10Flyer Posts: 140
    Options
    That does look good.

North Texas

XL and Small BGE

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Worth staying up for.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Dragonwmatches
    Options
    450 indirect? Am I nuts or is the middle of the bird missing in the second picture?
    It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'
  • Trini_in_Ottawa
    Options
    Looks like you were up to lots of delicious goodness!
  • Aviator
    edited July 2013
    Options

@dragon, remember I said I had to turn it? Well the chicken was so deliciously soft that it parted right in the middle to a left and right half. The halves are what you see in the 2nd pic.

Also, it was done direct, raised at felt level. This was on a PS3woo with regular BGE grid.

Chattanooga, TN.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Nice!  Beautiful looking bird.  I like the idea of the green chilies - I'm stealing that fo  sho. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @Caliking... Fo sho... 4 street cred points.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN