Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Construction/Assembly Forum?

Hey Y'all.

Seems perhaps there should be a forum dedicated to repairs/assembly, or something... My XL is having all sorts of issues being held together. Anyone else find that the clinch studs: tiny aluminum pieces, with hardly any strength, just can't handle the weight and heft of the XL components. Maybe it's not even exclusively an XL problem!

Bought my XL in May 2012, lost both clinch studs on one whole hinge (right side), repaired, but in the process of reassembly, had a clinch stud pop right off while tightening a spring component.

Are we really meant to trust aluminum against ceramic and steel parts? It's only a millimeter and a half of the head of the stud to hold on... seems preposterous to me. Getting tired of undoing and redoing my egg assembly!

Anyone else feel similarly?
·

Comments

• doubledouble Posts: 1,214
    Odd never had an issue on my XL. I've never noticed anyone else on here saying about them breaking either.
    Lynnwood WA
    ·
  • FiremanyzFiremanyz Posts: 529
    I had two break when I was putting my xl together. They were on the band. So to fix it I had to take the two out of the hinge and replaced them with bolts from the hardware store. I am also concerned, but I make a habit of checking the hinge assembly every week or two.
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 13,527
    I will say I was impressed with the kamado joe bands... It's takes 2 guys and a 12 pack to lift the lid though.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • berndcrispberndcrisp Posts: 743
    We should get NASA involved in this.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

·
  • JebpotJebpot Posts: 340
    Have had similar issues. But have broke it down couple times. Called dealer and got the bolts I needed. But went ahead and called the mothership. They sent me the whole nuts and bolts kit. Got new lock nuts and flat washer from Ace. Agree that for expense of eggs some of the hardware is lacking in design.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

·
  • six_eggsix_egg Posts: 602
    edited July 2013
    I have had same problems with my XL. I bought in March 2013. The bolts are rusted bent and do not hold. I had to have someone in back help me lift the lid to get my pizza off yesterday.

XLBGE, LBGE growing accessories.

Want: Ceramicgrillworks 2 tier large, Dutch oven, Cyber Q Wifi

Grenada, MS

·
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,714
    edited July 2013
    Luckily, I've never had a problem with any fastener.  The only thing I ever added was an extra nuts on the big bands so they don't come loose and I lose my lid.  Has worked well so far.

Packerland, Wisconsin

·