Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

a possible new convert

A friend of mine heard about our eggs, and wanted a demo, so tonight was the night. Did twice baked potatoes and some nice thick steaks with asparagus on the large. 6 steaks 3 were a little thinner. Threw the thicker ones on first and then about 3 minutes later on went the thinner one. Use the extended grill and had the potatoes on top. Everything was going good, but I pulled the steaks just a tad bit late, the guys wanted their's medium rare, gals wanted a bit more done. I would like to know at what temp do you pull for med rare, I am thinking about 125-130. It just seem like towards the end of the cook the internal temps rose real quick and I went over on the temp I wanted to pull them at. It was a little nerve racking trying to get everyone's steak done right. Used the thermopen, but like I said it seemed like the internal temps took off toward the end of the cook. Everyone liked it, just wanted to have more of a handle on how to cook steaks with different requests for doneness. Any tips on how to accomplish that will be greatly appreciated. After that meal, we visited for a while and then showed my friend how I light the small, did indirect wings with 3 different flavours, those turned out real well. All and all it was a great night and was a ton of fun. Just need to find out how y"all time the different internal temps. Sorry no time for pics tonight. We may have another egghead soon. Wahoo!
TIA
Large, small, and a mini

Comments

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    your rise in temp can be anywhere of 5-10 degrees after pulling depending on several factors (thickness, cut, grade, temp of cook/sear).  but basically the higher the temp the more the rise.  i typically pull about 120 when doing a reverse sear after rise i am anywhere 127-130.  this is searing low on the coals at a 600* dome but it is way hotter the closer to the coals you are.  Also, cook lots of steaks, I was cooking steak like 2-3 times a week until I got my system down.  Its fun and even the mess ups are great eating.  Hope you converted another one to the green side.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I have the same troubles trying to balance all the desired temps. By the time I plate everyone's streak I messed up which one is which. My wife is becoming more of a medium rare person with each steak I make ;-)
    Dunedin, FL
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    I pull between 115 and 118. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    GrannyX4 said:
    Hi Granny, what does the temp finish off at after the rest??
    Large, small, and a mini
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501

I found with some of the steaks I made even if they were beyond MR they were still good tasting . I had to get over the color.

My very first cook was chicken breasts. They looked anemic. Was I surprised with how moist and tender. The egg is forgiving.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    GrannyX4 said:
    Hi Granny, what does the temp finish off at after the rest??

It turns out to be a medium rare around 122 just the way we like it. I have always been one of those cooks that cooks by looks and feel. When I got a Thermapen I started cooking the steaks to temp that was recommemded on the forum and I was over cooking them.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Thanks Granny. Will give it a try for me next time, I know SWMBO will want it done just a tad bit more.
    Large, small, and a mini