Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice? Got My Butts From Same Place Jack Got His Beans

I put my 3 buts 11# 9# 8.5# on at 250F dome with the plate setter legs up but lower than normal since I removed the fire ring and used one inch spacers in its place. Put the 11# up higher than the other two hoping it would cook at a higher temp then the other 2 and finish around the same time frame.

Well in 3.5 hours the 8.5# is up to 134F from 51F and the larger higher is at 119F.

I dropped dome temp down to 225F and hope that they slow the f#@* down.  These were meant for a picnic tomorrow at noon and I figured closer to 2 hours/# as that is how long it took me to do my last cook.  

Any advice would be great.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162

The real driver in butt cooks is "how long to get thru the stall" (or two). Since you aren't even close to that plateau, don't sweat it (easy for me to say...).  Once somewhere north of 165*F or so then look at the clock.  You can easily FTC (foil, towel, cooler) for 4-5 hours and beyond.  Your guesstimate of around 2 hrs/# will likely work-out-just not a linear journey.  Remember-they will all cook at their own pace and don't be surprised if the smaller one runs long-monitor them all as you close in on the finish-line.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I always anticipate the stall, but I never get one with pork, only with brisket.  I hope I hit one this time, and I am totally prepped for FTC, I was planing on it at about 10am but now it is looking more like 4am lol.  Last cook too the entire 2h/# and I had everyone sitting around staring at me like I could do something about it, Guess I will just have to hope for the best lol, thanks for the advice and some confidence. 
  • lousubcap
    Funny but around 30% of the time with butts I will see a "second" stall where it can take 3-4 hours to climb from the high 180's-low 190's to around 195+.  This running with a calibrated dome of 250-260*F.  Dang piggies-no consistency!  You can easily take them up to around 203 or so to help prolong the cook if you get done way too early. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Yeah thats my plan and I have the digiq set up to ramp so it will lower on its own as in gets close to temp as not to over due it, thanks again
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    250 dome is way too high for 2 hrs a pound.

But you've got a ways to go now that you've turned it down and you'll want them to finish early so you can FTC and have them all done. They can finish at different times. I've had over an hours difference on butts before.

Good luck! Keep the pics coming

XLBGE 
  • Yeah I was thinking the temp was high but thats why I lowered the cooking surface and planed on the extra 6 inches would drop the temp significantly, but I was wrong lol this was a good learner. I will live.  I will post back on the finishing times.
  • Well I have to admit, and 10 hour stall is a little ridiculous, but it sure got me back on track for a 21.5 hour cook.  Has anyone ever had a stall that long?
  • lousubcap
    Never really pay too much attention to the stall (although a 10 hr one would get my attention)-but it all figures into the total cook time.  I generally plan around 2 hrs/# when running 250-260*F on the dome and that's close enough-although the largest butt I can recall cooking is around 10#'s.  That cook was north of 20 hours-some piggies do follow the rules :)   I'm sure it turned out great!
  • No complaints on the return that's for sure lol.  Just a crazy overnight cook.