Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Defrosting Tip

Options
Doc_Eggerton
Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
I mess up my cook planning all the time, especially when I want to marinate ahead of time.  I find myself at bed time with a frozen piece of meat that will take too long in the fridge to thaw for the next day.  Sometimes I leave it out and it is thawed in the morning, but occasionally it is too thawed that way and gets tossed.  Last night I had a brain fart and tried taking a rock hard frozen cut and putting it in a lunch sized cooler which sat out over night.  In the morning I found it was very cold, but no longer frozen.  This will be my method in this circumstance from now on.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• mikeb9550
    mikeb9550 Posts: 95
    Options
    Good tip. Same here. The only meat I freeze anymore is chicken and turkey.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Good tip Doc. Most of our frozen stuff is in food-saver bags, so we just submerge them in cold water. takes from one to three hours depending on what you are thawing.... like your lunch cooler idea, kinda like a cyber-Q for cold stuff - lets you sleep while the cooler controls the thaw. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • mikeb9550
    mikeb9550 Posts: 95
    Options
    I use food saver bags but cook the meals first. Thaw in boiling water. Ribs are better than the day they came off the grill.
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    If you need something to thaw just run it under cold water. It will thaw a lot faster than you think. Make sure it's wrapped good. Ziplocks work good just make sure you squeeze the air out. Or vacuum seal it.
    NW IOWA
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    I freeze all of my steaks after learning that you can take straight from the freezer and sear on a grill or CI pan then  seasoned then put either in the oven or as I always do on the BGE @200F until internal of 130F, juiciest steak ever.  Shocked me and I continue to shock my friends every time.  This method allows me to buy prime rib on sale and cut into cowboy steaks for future cooks. I also use thick cut porterhouse this way. Me and my wife end up just splitting one.
    imageimageimage
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options

Good call, Doc.  I've done that several times and it always works out well.  The microwave is another closed place that is reasonably insulated so I used to use it for overnight defrosting... until I forgot I had something in there...

Now, a cooler sitting on the floor of the kitchen makes it impossible to forget. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX