Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Back Ribs Cook Temp Question

Options
AmericanFlannel
AmericanFlannel Posts: 131
edited July 2013 in EggHead Forum
Wife is gone shopping and it's rainy outside so I decided to cook some ribs (going to be a late dinner!)

Question, doing 2-2-1 style what temp do you use and where do you measure the temp? At the dome or at the grate?

I have a CyberQ set at 225 on the grate ... is that a good start?

I have yet to master ribs, this is my third attempt. Probably should have asked before I started uh?

edit: set up:
place setter in legs up, drip pan on that, then stainless steel grate.

Comments

• Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    Options
    IMO that temp is too low. You can get the same results but with less time if you do 250-275 grate. I'd also advise you to go 3-1-1 rather than 2-2-1 as for me 2 hours in foil makes them too mushy. Good luck!
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Defiantly do 3-1-1 at 250-275.225 is too low.good luck!!!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • AmericanFlannel
    Options
    Ok bumped it up to 250 fifteen minutes into this adventure. 

The first two times I tried it at 250 and they seemed done as soon as I got them out of the foil.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I did 2 racks, 3-1/2 hours at 300 dome, no wrap, came out great.  Same setup as yours:  plate setter legs up, drip pan, ss grate.  Found that recommendation in another post.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Any time you put ribs in foil for any period of time ( 1 hr or more) they will come out appearing "done" due to the braising that takes place.  There are about as many ways to cook ribs as there are posters-you are on the right track -experiment and find out what works for you.  Enjoy the eats-YMMV.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    Options

Ok bumped it up to 250 fifteen minutes into this adventure. 

The first two times I tried it at 250 and they seemed done as soon as I got them out of the foil.
    Yeah think of the last hour as letting the ribs firm back up a bit. It's also time to bake on the sauce if you put it on. Also, like I said, I think 2 hrs in foil is way too much. It'll look better after just 1.