Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

New slicer...Ideas please?

stevehk1stevehk1 Posts: 15
edited July 2013 in EggHead Forum
I picked up a low end but brand new slicer at a thrift store for 10 bucks so I want to cook something that's going to need slicing this weekend.  I've done Pit beef and smoked turkey breasts as well as a failed pastrami before but I thought I might try something new this weekend.  Any good recipes or ideas?  
·

Comments

• GaryLangeGaryLange Posts: 279
    I would try this. 5lb bottom round roast, 32oz. beef broth, table spoon each of oregano, thyme, black pepper and salt. 1/2 packet dry Italian Dressing, 5 cloves of Garlic and a 16oz. jar Giardiniera (Mild) Mix all the dry spices except the dressing into the pot with the beef broth and add your roast. Put the dry dressing on top and 1/2 jar of the Giardiniera. This will make Italian Beef Sandwiches for you. Cook it in a foil pan at about 250 until the beef is tender. Let rest overnight before slicing. Serve on Italian Rolls with some Giardiniera on top.
    ·
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,616

@Garylange, if nothing else, that is producing a very good drool.

Sounds great!

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
    ·
  • sumoconnellsumoconnell Posts: 995
    Get some knife safety gloves... please...

I worked in a deli for a couple years in college - the joke was 'when' you needed stitches, not 'if'.  It was true.  Those things can slice meat... yours too.  When I got cut it almost didn't hurt.. felt like electricity.  I didn't get stitched, but I probably should have.

I'm curious how you keep them sharp?  We had Hobart equipment, heavily used, sharpened and disassembled/cleaned everyday.  I would imagine you at least need to clean after every use. (that's when folks got cut.)

Agree on roast beef and turkey as mouth watering :)  

How about a philly cheese steak? Or slicing a cooked brisky?
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
    ·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,619
    GaryLange said:
    I would try this. 5lb bottom round roast, 32oz. beef broth, table spoon each of oregano, thyme, black pepper and salt. 1/2 packet dry Italian Dressing, 5 cloves of Garlic and a 16oz. jar Giardiniera (Mild) Mix all the dry spices except the dressing into the pot with the beef broth and add your roast. Put the dry dressing on top and 1/2 jar of the Giardiniera. This will make Italian Beef Sandwiches for you. Cook it in a foil pan at about 250 until the beef is tender. Let rest overnight before slicing. Serve on Italian Rolls with some Giardiniera on top.
    I made this a couple weeks ago, fantastic. High Gluten rolls work the best, they don't fall apart when wet.

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·
  • stevehk1stevehk1 Posts: 15
    That sounds great Gary, thanks for the recipe!  When you say cook to tender do you mean slow cooked to 195 like a pulled beef or to 130ish for  med - med/rare slices?  If that's a dumb question, excuse my ignorance but I've only had the egg since christmas so I'm still learning. Thanks!
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,259
    Eye of round or bottom round.  Salt and pepper.  Little oak.  Put the meat in cold. Smoke indirect at the lowest temp you can hold your egg - 200 F is ideal.  Cook until 130 F (plus or minus based on your taste).  I would not go over 150 or the meat will be dry (this is extremely lean beef).  Pull and refrigerate overnight.  Then slice against the grain.

You can put any spices/rubs on it.  You can also brine it or soak in marinade.  The cooking process is the same.

·
  • stevehk1stevehk1 Posts: 15
    Thank you NOLA.  I know there are a lot of factors but at that temp for a 4-5 lb roast how long does it take to get up to 130? Are we talking hours or overnight?
    ·
    Not long at all.  Maybe a couple hours. That's why I suggest putting it in cold, you get more exposure to the smoke.

·
    You can also buy a cured boneless ham, but you're going to want to slather on some sugary rub and switch the wood to a fruit wood.  Cook that to whatever temp the package recommends.

·
  • GaryLangeGaryLange Posts: 279
    stevehk1 said:
    That sounds great Gary, thanks for the recipe!  When you say cook to tender do you mean slow cooked to 195 like a pulled beef or to 130ish for  med - med/rare slices?  If that's a dumb question, excuse my ignorance but I've only had the egg since christmas so I'm still learning. Thanks!
    I would cook to about 125 as you want it medium rare. Don't get in a big hurry to slice it as it needs to be cool before it will slice thin. You can rill up some Italian Sausage and make Combo's. God I am making myself hungry.LOL,LOL,LOL
    ·