Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FTC butts-how long?

Options
Ok-one butt is done and FTC'd, two more still working up towards 200 IT. People aren't coming over until 3ish. Will the butts keep well in there or will they be nasty by the time I need to pull? I'm puttin on some baby backs in a little while that should take me up to chow time.
It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'

Comments

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    Longest I did was 8.5 hours. Internal temp dropped to 157 degrees. Tasted just like the others.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Egghead_Daron
    Options
    You will be fine. Assuming you are on Eastern time you are only talking 5ish hours. No problem. Keep the cooler closed until you add the others and then keep it closed til time to pull. Sounds pretty good to me. I'm getting hungry thinking about it.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Dragonwmatches
    Options
    Thanks-I did just that. All 3 are in there now and I'm not gonna look until ready to pull!
  • mgoblue0484
    mgoblue0484 Posts: 148
    Options
    I did an over-night low and slow, took the shoulder off at 1120a. I didn't shred until 445p. It was still too hot to shred with latex gloves! I had no issues.

GO BLUE!

Fairfax, Va

• Dragonwmatches
    Options
    I had 3 butts in the cooler, pulled one out after 6 hours and it was still 190 IT. I didn't need the other two for the picnic, so I didn't pull them out until after 12 hours and they were still 175-180IT, good bark and easy to pull.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I ftc'ed a butt for 3 days... Ok, got drunk and forgot about it. =))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN